Fish Compatibility With African Cichlids

Fishing1118

Reaction score
I have a 75g aquarium with about 18 african cichlids a crayfish and some snails. Some of the african cichlids are demasoni, acei, labs, etc. the temp is about 82 degrees with a ph of 8-8.2. I did put some salt in as a buffer so it is slightly brackish. I was wondering what other fish could go in this tank. I know about the catfish and other common stuff but I was wondering about some of the more diverse and uncommon fish. Some thoughts I had but count get a definitive answer on were eels, figure 8 pufferfish, fiddler crabs, bichirs, shrimp, and other cool fish

Ryan10

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I personally wouldn't try adding any of the above with your mbuna cichlids.   If you want a mixed tank it's best to go with peacocks and haps.  They are a lot more easy going than the mbuna. 

fluttermoth

The current Mrs Treguard ;)
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
you also shouldn't be using salt; these aren't brackish fish.

If you need to buffer your water, use proper a Malawi/Rift valley mineral mix.

crunch7

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I am not sure but my personal experience with snails is that they should not be mixed with mbunas. The mbunas will harass them to death and in case a snail dies there will be a big ammonia spike in the tank. Veterans members please check if my experience is valid.

Search tags for this page

fish compatible with african cichlids

tropical fish cichilids compatable with cichilids