fish companions for OSCARS

Rock

Reaction score
Hi

Since Oscars are very aggressive there are not many fish to choose from to add to tank. Any ideas of the other species of tropical fish that can coexist with the oscars I have? Just lookimg to add 2 more fish.

It would not be a good idea. As mentioned a large pleco will work if you like that sort of thing. As it is you eventually need to get rid of at least 1, possibly 2 of your Oscars.

I kept 2 large severum's (one gold and one green) with my oscars and they got along just fine. HOWEVER, eventually, my oscars just got way too big for my tank and wanted to eat everything in sight, including my fingers! :eek:

Firemouth cichlids, green terrors, jack dempseys

The thing with Oscars & tank mates is everything can go along swimmingly[excuse the pun] for ages & then out of the blue all hell will break loose, I would not mix Oscars with other fish unless you have spare tanks to split up any squabbles. also I have to agree with theciclidadict your tank is too small for three grown OScars, look at getting 100gal tank for your three befor adding any tank mates ,or rehome 2 Oscars and introduce a plec, one as big as your oscar. :fun:

is it true that oscars like all tankmates, so long as they are tasty??
:lol: Well that and they fit into their mouths!

The thing with Oscar is that they are not very aggressive as far as these types of cichlids go. They are generally laid back and take well to other tankmates, minding their own for the most part. There are always exceptions, and more and less aggressive then usual within all species.

The thing is I'm recommending no tankmates not because they can't get along with other fish, but because they are huge, messy fish. There is simply no room in a tank this size. There is no room for 3 Oscars in a tank this size either. A pair of them will fill it up and more.

thecichlidaddict said:
is it true that oscars like all tankmates, so long as they are tasty??
:lol: Well that and they fit into their mouths!

The thing with Oscar is that they are not very aggressive as far as these types of cichlids go. They are generally laid back and take well to other tankmates, minding their own for the most part. There are always exceptions, and more and less aggressive then usual within all species.

The thing is I'm recommending no tankmates not because they can't get along with other fish, but because they are huge, messy fish. There is simply no room in a tank this size. There is no room for 3 Oscars in a tank this size either. A pair of them will fill it up and more.
Maybe they got a bad name because they get squeezed into tanks that are too small for them??

Most reactions

Back