Fish came! Also some quick questions .

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
The photos show stressed honey gouramis - they will be stressed as they've just arrived. They are not sparkling gouramis.

Are the photos of the same fish? The photos all look like females of the natural colour of honey gourami, though as they are stressed you may have males or a mixture. Wait a few days and see what they look like once they settle in.

I have to warn you though that emperor tetras are very active fish and coupd stress the gouramis just by their swimming behaviour.
Thanks for getting back to me.
Brilliant thank you that could explain the lack of colour . Each picture is of a different Gourami .
I have noticed that about the Tetras, they are not aggressive towards the Gourami and don't mind each others company . They have already started to come out of the Planted area so will keep my eye on them .

Thanks you

It can take a few days for them to settle. Males will become a golden tan colour and have a yellowish dorsal fin (the one on the back) and when they are in the mood to breed they develop a black throat. Females stay that beigey grey colour.

It can take a few days for them to settle. Males will become a golden tan colour and have a yellowish dorsal fin (the one on the back) and when they are in the mood to breed they develop a black throat. Females stay that beigey grey colour.
Brilliant, thank you for the advise.

From the way they look at the moment, the fish in image 4173 could be a very stressed male. I think the other is a female. But wait a few days to be sure.

Just keep the tank dark till tomorrow and try not to keep going and staring in the tank. I know that's impossible to do ;)

Are they good breeders if I could get another tank?
I kept honey gouramis for about 20 years so had a few different ones over that time. They did spawn quite often but because they were always in with other fish, even if the eggs survived long enough to hatch, the fry were soon picked off.
The male builds a bubble nest then courts the female. This can be quite rough and involves the male chasing the female so her tail can be nipped. It heals quickly. They spawn by wrapping round each other under the bubble nest, the female releases eggs and the male fertilises them, then they both catch the falling eggs in their mouths and spit them into the bubbles. Once they've finished, the females leaves and the male tends the nest, guarding the eggs against intruders and putting back any eggs which fall out of the nest. The eggs hatch and at first the fry remain in the nest feeding off the yolk sac. The male continues to care for them, keeping them in the bubble nest. After a few days the fry become free swimming and leave the nest. At this point, those that made it this far in my tank were promptly eaten.
In a breeding tank, the female should be removed to another tank as soon as spawning has finished, leaving the male to care for the eggs. Once the fry become free swimming he is likely to eat them so he too should be removed to another tank. I never got as far as this, but the fry probably need very small food at the beginning so if you did want to breed your honeys (assuming one actually is a male) you need to read up on how to prepare for feeding the fry.

Thanks for everyones replies :good:
Just wondering my White ancistrus isn't eating its algae wafers and I am aware that they don't just it algae ect. Also seems a bit more quite today has barely moved.

Anyone no why ?

Thanks

I kept honey gouramis for about 20 years so had a few different ones over that time. They did spawn quite often but because they were always in with other fish, even if the eggs survived long enough to hatch, the fry were soon picked off.
The male builds a bubble nest then courts the female. This can be quite rough and involves the male chasing the female so her tail can be nipped. It heals quickly. They spawn by wrapping round each other under the bubble nest, the female releases eggs and the male fertilises them, then they both catch the falling eggs in their mouths and spit them into the bubbles. Once they've finished, the females leaves and the male tends the nest, guarding the eggs against intruders and putting back any eggs which fall out of the nest. The eggs hatch and at first the fry remain in the nest feeding off the yolk sac. The male continues to care for them, keeping them in the bubble nest. After a few days the fry become free swimming and leave the nest. At this point, those that made it this far in my tank were promptly eaten.
In a breeding tank, the female should be removed to another tank as soon as spawning has finished, leaving the male to care for the eggs. Once the fry become free swimming he is likely to eat them so he too should be removed to another tank. I never got as far as this, but the fry probably need very small food at the beginning so if you did want to breed your honeys (assuming one actually is a male) you need to read up on how to prepare for feeding the fry.
wow thanks ou for the information I bet its brilliant to watch and try. I might do it if I get another tank .I have heard the you have to feed the fry something that as a hobbyist is hard to produce.

wow thanks ou for the information I bet its brilliant to watch and try. I might do it if I get another tank .I have heard the you have to feed the fry something that as a hobbyist is hard to produce.
You can feed them liquid fry food, microworms, boiled egg yolk, straight-up powder form of Repashy, frozen baby brine shrimp, etc.

It would be a super cool process to watch, but make sure to do extensive research before breeding. Also have a plan for all the fry. ;)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back