Fish As A Career

Keithoms

Fish Addict
Joined
May 4, 2008
Messages
885
Reaction score
1
Points
0
Location
Edinburgh - Scotland, UK
Ok, as many know i am 14. Im starting to think about my life ahead.
I thought as i am good at computers, thats my life from now on. But ever since i have started fishkeeping i have been getting more and more into it, reading constantly about everything.
I was wondering just what careers could interest me and what subjects i would have to take for them.

Keith :D
 
the most obvious to me is Marine Biology, its very difficult to get a job in the field though.

as for subjects Biology and Chemistry are a must and Maths would come in handy for both of them.
 
Depends really, do you just like fish or could you be interested in all of the associated water chemistry? things like parasitology and fish disease? Do you want to keep them, sell them or possibly conserve them?

You could be anything from a good LFS worker (or maybe manage your own shop one day if you think business is a route for you), to a keeper in a public aquarium, or you could even work in the field, surveying threatened or endangered fish in their natural habitats, assessing threats like pollution etc etc etc.

:)
Lotte*
 
Yeah marine biology would be good, so at your age, go with the sciences at school, also business studies if you think you might like to own your own shop one day.
 
Depends really, do you just like fish or could you be interested in all of the associated water chemistry? things like parasitology and fish disease? Do you want to keep them, sell them or possibly conserve them?

You could be anything from a good LFS worker (or maybe manage your own shop one day if you think business is a route for you), to a keeper in a public aquarium, or you could even work in the field, surveying threatened or endangered fish in their natural habitats, assessing threats like pollution etc etc etc.

:)
Lotte*

Well, i could start off at P@H giving good advice (^^ big ego keith) then possibly start my own aquatics store. seems like something i would like to do. Having just picked this years courses a few weeks ago, i picked chem but didnt think at the time of picking bio.A

Also take biz studs btw
 
Shame about the biology, no way you can change now?
It's not the end of the world tho, doing chemistry is really very important so good one on that :)

Going into the business side of fishkeeping is pretty do-able, it's not too hard to get a foot in and then proove your skills to go further. It's the more scientific professions that take a lot more work to get into in the first place and generally pay less! :good:

P@H is as good a place to start as any, it wont be easy, especially if you have ideals and ethics about your fishkeeping!!! But you can at least feel you are doing some good in a position there.
At your age you should be able to do some part time shifts there already and slightly more out of term time. Worth a go, so good luck!

Lotte*
 
Personally if you enjoy fishkeeping that much I'd consider not taking a career in it - mixing your biggest hobby with work doesn't always work out.

If it were me, I'd be looking at a career that'll make me a fortune so I can buy a small island and stock my own version of Seaworld :)
 
I'm an aquatic biologist....it's fun at times but not as fun as the hobby :)
If it is something you want to do, as others have said, just start focusing on sciences. You're only 14 so you have lots of time to narrow things down...I didn't make my decision until I was 24 ;)
 
In the UK, law sucks. I can work (at 14) 2 hrs a day max. 5 on saturdays, 3 on sunday. I also doubt P@H would take on a 14yo.

I started my career at 14 working in my local aquatics and reptile shop in manchester, 8 years there, GCSE's, A' levels, a degree in biology and geology and a year managing a shop here in jersey = now working as a keeper in herpetology at Durrell Wildlife.

From small acorns, :good:

Lotte*
 
Ok, as many know i am 14. Im starting to think about my life ahead.
I thought as i am good at computers, thats my life from now on. But ever since i have started fishkeeping i have been getting more and more into it, reading constantly about everything.
I was wondering just what careers could interest me and what subjects i would have to take for them.

Keith :D


You remind me of, me! I always thought I wanted to get into computer animation. Once I really got into fish keeping (at age 13-14) I changed my mind. I started out wanting to open a fish store, but now am considering opening up a fish farm/hatchery. Working at various fish stores has some-what deterred me from opening up a shop. I have found out how much paper work, pay roll, stocking items, pricing, researching whole sale'rs, etc. goes into running the store, and frankly I don't want to do any of it. :P (although I will probably have to do some of that stuff owning a fish farm.


You should really look into getting a part time job at a local fish store. Get to know fish well, and you shouldn't have any problem with getting employed!


You have a long time to look into what you want to do when you get older, so consider and research carefully. Marine biologist is something to look into. Building and installing custom tanks, opening up a shop or hatchery. There are many more!
 
It is so nice to see someone of your age with ambition,,,lots and lots of luck
 
Definately Marine Biology. I wish I would have chosen this route, guess it's never too late ;)


No it's never to late, met someone last week who is 51 & just started a marine biology course at university.


Thanks Dusky, I'm 31 and just bounced back from Kidney disease due to Lupus...It really make you take a 2nd look at what you really should be doing with your life :)

Keith, try and get your foot in the door anywhere, even if it's 2 hrs per day. Experience is worth a lifetime of education to some ppl.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top