Fish and Tank Photography Tips?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Bruce Leyland-Jones

Fish Aficionado
Reaction score
There are some great photos in here, of fish in their tanks...and some not so good.

To those of you who consistently take crystal clear shots of your tank contents, how do you do it?
Do you simply take hundreds of shots, trawl through them all and then edit the best, or do you use specific techniques?

I've got a decent camera (Nikon P900 Coolpix) and have no issue with birds, landscapes and close-ups, etc., but getting the fish is problematic for a variety of (probably well-known) reasons.
I've also trawled through the Forum and found nothing suitable, by way of a How To.

Tanks in advance.

How about this thread

How about this thread
Aaaaah....'photos' and NOT 'photographs' or 'photography' for the Search.:rolleyes:
Ta.

Clean the inside and outside of the glass tank.
Do a big water change and gravel clean 24 hours before taking pictures.
Have lots of light above the tank.

Don't wear light clothing because it shows up on the digital pictures.
If you get lots of reflection from the glass, close the curtains and turn the room light off so the only light is above the tank and from the camera flash.

Try to use a camera with a manual focus lens.
Have the camera flash on.
Set the shutter speed to 1/100 or higher (1/250, 1/500)
Set the ISO on 64 or 100

Have the camera slightly higher than the fish and face the front of the fish. This reduces glare off the glass and gets the best colours from the fish.

The following link has a few more pointers.

Last edited:
I just point and shoot, They call me the Cowboy... Well they would if anybody saw me do it.... maybe...

There are some great photos in here, of fish in their tanks...and some not so good.

To those of you who consistently take crystal clear shots of your tank contents, how do you do it?
Do you simply take hundreds of shots, trawl through them all and then edit the best, or do you use specific techniques?

I've got a decent camera (Nikon P900 Coolpix) and have no issue with birds, landscapes and close-ups, etc., but getting the fish is problematic for a variety of (probably well-known) reasons.
I've also trawled through the Forum and found nothing suitable, by way of a How To.

Tanks in advance.
Very similar to a thread i posted today. Great reply from Colin

I’d like to be able to take photos like this new guy here does.

Attachments

• 8B093875-DA88-4737-8C0D-E32A14FB62CE.png
    8B093875-DA88-4737-8C0D-E32A14FB62CE.png
    703.5 KB · Views: 40

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back