Fish And Plant Legistlation

fifefish

Fish Herder
Joined
Oct 16, 2008
Messages
1,290
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Fife, Scotland
its is legal to ship live plants and live fish to the USA from the UK or would i be breaking the law?
 
Depends on the fish/plants, some are illegal in the US or even certain states within the US.
 
I spend time on a Canadian forum where this has been discussed at length. Apparently, even though a plant or fish is legal to have in the US, there are requirements for permits for people who ship into the US across the border. The information I have gathered there made it unlikely that an individual would want to spend the money involved in getting the permit, even though it is a small enough charge to make the annual permit cost quite cheap for a major vendor.
 
I shipped a box of fish to a customer in Canada and it was a hassle, but possible. Currently there are no restrictions on what can be shipped to Canada except restricted or endangered species. I'm not sure on the US policy, but I think ours are similar to Canada. AFAIK java moss is not a restricted species in the US. It can be found at almost every pet shop (well not every shop, but the better ones!)
 

Most reactions

Back
Top