First time raising fry

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Guyb93

Fish Herder
Fish of the Month šŸŒŸ
Reaction score
Iā€™m having a go a raising electric blue acara fry, my pair been breeding for a while and iv always left them to it but this time Iā€™m pinching half of them lol , so far I have around 50-100 of them in a 4 litre bottle floating in my tank with an air pum and air stone just in the bottle , I hve left the rest with mom and dad as they do try bless them and they had a large batch of eggs so they wonā€™t even miss the ones iv taken , any advice on the next step ? Iā€™m buying a 50 litre toy tub tomorrow and hve a small heater I can use my plan is to grow them to a size they wonā€™t be eaten in t he main tank and sell them , how long b egg ore they are roughly 1 inch

Attachments

• A5F5B664-9AA4-4993-99DC-194E73E59BA7.jpeg
    A5F5B664-9AA4-4993-99DC-194E73E59BA7.jpeg
    198 KB · Views: 86
All cichlid fry should be reared by their parents so the babies know how to look after their young when they grow up and breed. Artificially rearing cichlid fry produces adult fish that regularly eat the eggs and young.

All cichlid fry should be reared by their parents so the babies know how to look after their young when they grow up and breed. Artificially rearing cichlid fry produces adult fish that regularly eat the eggs and young.
The parents have eaten all over there fry so far they breed often and defend the eggs ruthlessly but soon as they become free swimming they eat them all lol protecting there dinner I guess

That is common in artificially reared fish that weren't looked after by their parents. If it continues after about 5 or 6 batches, then separate the pair and try them with different partners. Sometimes it is one fish that eats them and swapping partners can fix that.

That is common in artificially reared fish that weren't looked after by their parents. If it continues after about 5 or 6 batches, then separate the pair and try them with different partners. Sometimes it is one fish that eats them and swapping partners can fix that.
I have read they are monogamous, if I split them would they eventually pair off with a different partner or can a fish be genuinely monogamous

Most cichlids will swap partners if they don't get along or if one fish dies. The best way to get a pair of fish is to put a group of them together and let them choose their own mates.

I am raising some african electric yellow babies at the moment. And will see how they turn out as parents. @Colin_T is largely right with what he is saying tho. I brought these home away from a community tank, they are doing great. See them on " First algae disc for my cichlids". The first two weeks are tricky after that they will be fine.

Most reactions

trending

Back