FIRST PICTURE UPDATE!!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Lol all these responses are hilarious. I cant wait to add the first fish (after cycle of course.) One question... How can I clean/sanitize the wood without boiling it in one of my mom's cooking pot... Cause she dont like that lol

Lol all these responses are hilarious. I cant wait to add the first fish (after cycle of course.) One question... How can I clean/sanitize the wood without boiling it in one of my mom's cooking pot... Cause she dont like that lol
Just rinse it under a tap for a minute or two.
Boiling cause the wood to decompose quicker. Any chemical or cleaning products get absorbed and then leach into the tank.

Just rinse it under a tap for a minute or two.
Boiling cause the wood to decompose quicker. Any chemical or cleaning products get absorbed and then leach into the tank.
So just a simple rinse? What about all the possible bacteria? Doesnt the boiling process kill the bacteria so I dont contaminate the tank? I mean... I guess its easier.

So just a simple rinse? What about all the possible bacteria? Doesnt the boiling process kill the bacteria so I dont contaminate the tank? I mean... I guess its easier.
People collect wood/ rock outdoors so that would have various pathogens and parasites on it that need removing. But shop bought wood will just be dusty, a good rinse will remove that.

People collect wood/ rock outdoors so that would have various pathogens and parasites on it that need removing. But shop bought wood will just be dusty, a good rinse will remove that.
Oh... Ok. Thanks. This makes my life real simple. I'll just soak it in dechlorinated water to rid of tannins.

Leave it to soak somewhere. Most of the wood I've bought over the years floated when new and leaving it in a bucket of water allows it to become water logged and sink. That also allows some of the tannins to leach out.

Usual good practice is to submerge it in a tub of water for a couple of weeks. You might need to weigh it down, at least initially.
You can also change the water a couple of times.

Usual good practice is to submerge it in a tub of water for a couple of weeks. You might need to weigh it down, at least initially.
You can also change the water a couple of times.
Probably change the water after I see it browning a lot. I should probably start soaking it today so I can add it as the tank cycles.

Probably change the water after I see it browning a lot. I should probably start soaking it today so I can add it as the tank cycles.
NOTE that for some fish and tank set-ups, the tannin colouring the water brown is just what's needed. In these instances, the wood isn't excessively soaked beforehand.

You aren't going to see alot of tannins come out of "spider wood"

Just rinse well in hot tap water, then cold tap water, then throw it in a bucket of tap water, enough so it will submerge...it doesn't even have to be dechlored, because you'll have dechlor in your tank to start off with, anyway, when you add the wood to the cycling tank

SW doesn't take long to soak and sink, mine only took a few days

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back