First Foray Into Caridina

No troubles with these guys, have had several successful molts.
20260529_214039.webp

20260529_213805.webp


They *really* like Northfin Bug Crisps the most of all the food I've offered
 
Very pretty bowl, but how do you keep algae off the buce with that lighting?
I haven't had a bowl since my first goldfish but yours is making me want to set one up again!
 
Very pretty bowl, but how do you keep algae off the buce with that lighting?
I haven't had a bowl since my first goldfish but yours is making me want to set one up again!
It's a super low cruddy light, meant for lighting a room. Like literally a $5 light not even meant for aquariums. It works for the buce though so no complaints.
 
That bowl is gorgeous! I have a 3 gallon tank with crystal red shrimp and chili rasboras. I love it. They have actually reproduced. I just use tap water (which, like yours is very soft- KH 0-1 and GH is about 2 if I remember right). A guy came to our club and said Caridina are impossible to keep without using RO water.....heheh...finally I'm the exception to the rule in a good way. Good luck on yours- is that bowl a kit? I love the way you have scaped it- just beautiful.
 
I keep both the Neo. davidi and the amanos in the same water, sometimes both in the same tank. I also keep assassin snails as well and in some cases all three of these are in the same tank. Because the davidi and the assassins reproduce like crazy, I worry more about calcium than anything else.

I handles tis in two ways. One is I feed them veggies sticks with calcium from kensfish.com. I also have crushed coral and every now and then I will drop a table spoon (five or take) into the tank. Also, in heavily planted tanks with both shrimp and snails I may add a small amount of SeaChem Equilibrium. I finds the combo of lots of plants and the snails and shrimp tend to use ups a lot of the things in the Equilibrium and it was the solution to the plants starting not to do as well as is normal for them in my tanks.

I have been doing this for well over a year now with great results. I used only a small amount of the Equilibrium as I am trying not to add enough to raise the TDS/Hardness.
 
That bowl is gorgeous! I have a 3 gallon tank with crystal red shrimp and chili rasboras. I love it. They have actually reproduced. I just use tap water (which, like yours is very soft- KH 0-1 and GH is about 2 if I remember right). A guy came to our club and said Caridina are impossible to keep without using RO water.....heheh...finally I'm the exception to the rule in a good way. Good luck on yours- is that bowl a kit? I love the way you have scaped it- just beautiful.
The bowl isn’t a kit. A neighbour gave it to me years back to use for a terrarium and I converted it over to aquatic use when I moved the buce plants out of another tank.
I'm really happy with how the buce is growing in the bowl, and it's been a pretty sturdy plant.

My tap is low, but I am using distilled water I buy from the grocery store for this tank because my tap water is also a little funky.
 
Sad to update that the last couple weeks of extreme heat here has taken its toll on my tanks and this was one of them affected. I lost all of them due to temperatures reaching over 90F in all my tanks

😭

No heaters plugged in AND I have AC running, but not enough to keep up with the 96-100F temps we have had for extended periods of time.
20260701_082824.webp


Have lost some fish as well, unfortunately too. But to lost all of the caridina is hard
 
Adding a few hydrilla plants can improve your neocaradina shrimp tanks. Best to purify your water from toxins and shrimps love the dead leaves on hydrilla stems. It's a good indicator on your water hardness and a hardy plant resist dying in your shrimp tank.
 
Adding a few hydrilla plants can improve your neocaradina shrimp tanks. Best to purify your water from toxins and shrimps love the dead leaves on hydrilla stems. It's a good indicator on your water hardness and a hardy plant resist dying in your shrimp tank.
Hydrilla is illegal where I live
 

Most reactions

Back
Top