First 75G Setup

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

2chains

Reaction score
Friend is giving me a 75G tank. I was wondering what sort of filter would be good for this tank. I was thinking of getting a Black Ghost Knife Fish and not sure what else would go along with it. I am open to all sorts of Oddball fish. Just looking to get some good setup ideas as far as equipment, sand, etc, and stocking thoughts before I go ahead and wind up putting wrong sort of fish together. Thanks.

Well, a canister filter is a fine idea for a 75 g, a good idea is to go for a community tank because it provides variety and almost enless options, here is my post on my 70 gallon Communtity tank (Remember comunity fish don't need to be small.) http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/427314-just-here-to-show-off/
Awell before you jump into scaping go and look up some ideas and sketch out what you think you whana make it look like using these tips: http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/429458-sketching-your-aquarium/

Anyways my time here is done if you have more questions feel free to ask, anything from plants to odballs
biggrin.png

Hmmm. What is your experience with fish keeping 2chains?

I ask, because long-term a 75g is going to be pushing the limits of setting up a BGK correctly. Yes it can be done, but you need to know what you are doing. These fish get very large. A 125g is more of a recommended minimum tank size.

You could certainly keep some fish with a BGK that are not going to be too aggressive, too large, or too small. BGK's can get very very shy when there is competition and aggression in the tank. While they are predators, their lack of eyesight and shape makes them a vulnerable target. You can pretty much rule out cichlids, except maybe angels. Because this is a large fish, you need to consider space in the tank and bioload... given that most very large fish will bully a BGK anyways, rule this out. Small fish (tetras or juvenile fish) are not a good idea. expensive food.

BGK's do great with tons of cover and plants if you can. I've had one for a couple of months growing out in a 35g with a lot of plants and places to go. He is just about getting to the point he will need his upgraded tank (mature 55g ready to go with tons of plants). Give them this sort of environment, and you have a pretty happy BGK. I won't get into the details on my opinion of tank needs and such, but keep the tank well covered with places to hide, and you will have a happy dude that will be out all the time (and not nocturnal hiding all the time).

Sand is fine with these guys. They will go digging in it for food. Same with gravel. No fuss there.

Canister for a 75g+ is a must. just efficient and easy to deal with. they will suck up a lot of sand... something to keep in mind when you have a bgk wiggling around in the sand.

tank mates are pretty vast. keep to the non-aggressive, not too large, and not to small rule. Gouramis get along well. other oddball bichers and some eels as long as they don't intrude on ground space in the tank. Silver dollars are great if you dont have a planted tank (but for a 75 can pose an issue when you are looking at 5 minimum). You just need to keep an eye on bioload. There is a lot to keep in mind when considering a BGK tank mate... and not all are going to be the same.

I have a couple of nano tanks at the moment. Never had a tank of this size. I like planted tanks so this would need a lot of plants I'm assuming. How would a BGK do with say an Oscar or Discus? Or what would be some really nice oddballs that could fit in well? African butterfly? Leopard bushfish? Gold Datnoid? Maybe a good pleco? or bichir? Just ideas not sure if habitats or aggressiveness of fish would work with any of these. There's also baracuda that seem pretty interesting but I don't think that would work as they seem to need to be by themselves. What brand of canister do you suggest? What about heating devices?

My stock for my 75 gallon is in my sig. I had to move the second tire track eel to the 10 gallon because the older one I had was picking on him and i think my new one is a little sick, fungus or something on his body.
Have kept plecos, snails, gourmias, angel, and multiple catfish with him as well, hes about 12" now and very active. I have sand with him and you dont want anything sharp in the tank, because they cut them selves very easily. Im not gonna give you all he info on them because i assume you researched already lol. Also have some sort of datnoid with him about 4"
Any heating device that has the proper wattage would be fine I assume, and oscars would be fine (kept 2 with it before) and I would assume the discus to, they eat different foods and discus are to large. I wouldnt suggest the tire track eel or a fire eel though because im upgrading them when they get larger. I wouldnt do butterfly fish because they like a calm water top and you want good filtration with BGK and discus if you put them in there. Pleco poop ALOT but yes they work I just have a apple snail with mine right now because i never have algae, but bristle noses would be fine with it, a larger one. Any other info needed just ask.

I like the albino cuvier bichir. Such a nice contrasting fish to the BGK.

I had a albino before, not really a fan, they arent very competitive for food.

Sounds like it would get along pretty well with the BGK then.

Anybody ever use this canister for their setup? 

Lifegard Aquatics Fluidized Bed Filter 300
It says that it's suitable for up to 300 gallon tank. 

I use HOB filters so i cant tell you and what i meant was that mine never came out for food and was out competed my the other bichirs, he died about a month after buying him. :( However my BGK is a very competitive feeder in my tank and eveyone stays away from him lol

What HOB filter do you have for your 75G? Haven't worked with canisters before so want to see all my options. 

I have two 55/75 HOB filters, the brand is aqueon, I think their new brand still says 55/75 but has a 75 on the front instead of 55 if that makes since, letme try and get pics.

Sorry for bad quality did it with my ipad. The 75 one is on my 55 and the one that says 55 is on my 75 haha, i have to on the 75 though, once again kinda confusing but they work fine, had no problems with them.

Looks good. Thanks for the info. I'll look into them.

sawickib said:
My stock for my 75 gallon is in my sig. I had to move the second tire track eel to the 10 gallon because the older one I had was picking on him and i think my new one is a little sick, fungus or something on his body.
Have kept plecos, snails, gourmias, angel, and multiple catfish with him as well, hes about 12" now and very active. I have sand with him and you dont want anything sharp in the tank, because they cut them selves very easily. Im not gonna give you all he info on them because i assume you researched already lol. Also have some sort of datnoid with him about 4"
Any heating device that has the proper wattage would be fine I assume, and oscars would be fine (kept 2 with it before) and I would assume the discus to, they eat different foods and discus are to large. I wouldnt suggest the tire track eel or a fire eel though because im upgrading them when they get larger. I wouldnt do butterfly fish because they like a calm water top and you want good filtration with BGK and discus if you put them in there. Pleco poop ALOT but yes they work I just have a apple snail with mine right now because i never have algae, but bristle noses would be fine with it, a larger one. Any other info needed just ask.
NO.

Just no. stop giving advice. I am on my way out and need to catch some sleep... but am OBLIGATED to say NO.

Oscar and discus ok with a BGK??? are you insane? no you have not kept those successfully. Don't just throw that out there. An oscar will eat a bgk alive. Discus have their own tank specific parameters w/o having to deal with a 12" BGK in the tank.....

The rest of your comments: CANISTER FILTER a 75. HOB should be a backup. Canisters are so much more efficient. You have fish dying and are posting advice??? 

Sawickicb... frustrated with your posts more way than one and I'll be a straight shooter and tell you. Bad bad advice.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back