Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Firemouth Chiclids

Discussion in 'Tropical Discussion' started by freshwaterfishlover, Jan 1, 2013.

1. freshwaterfishlover

I think for now I will forget about Discus and try something new and easier. I was thinking about Firemouth Chiclids.

How many can I put in a tank 65 gallons US with 10 Sterbais and 2 Synodontis? I have a Canister Filter, planted heavily and water changes of 40% once a week. I was thinking 4?

2. Wills

Wills Moderator

You might get away with 4 but with American Cichlids - you are sometimes best off getting singletons of a few species as if you get a pair it can totally change the make up of the tank and cause issues.

In a 65 most of the mid sized cichlids are going to work. If you like the Firemouths maybe you could do -

1 Firemouth (male)
    1 Blue Acara (male)
    1 Rainbow Cichlid (male)
    1 Sajica (male)

All I would say is those plants in your signature probably wont survive the digging of most cichlids.

If you were thinking of Discus what about a group of Angels? Just thinking it will save your plants as well?

Or you could mix it up a little with

2 Angels (any type - I prefer the striped blues, naturals or blacks)
    4 or 5 Cupid Cichlids

Or do some Angels and some dwarfs like Laetacara, Krobia, Keyholes or Apistos - Bolivian Rams would work as well.

Hope thats helped
    Wills :)