Fire-mouth Panchax

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

tropicman

Fishaholic
Reaction score
hey everyone i am very interested in these Panchax and was wondering if anyone could give me some information and mabe share some pictures with me and the rest of tff and if anyone has successfully bred them and ave eggs if they are selling them let me know thanks :good: Tropicman

Epiplatys dageti monroviae is what I think you are looking for. This is an easy to breed species and one I have kept for many a year. Unfortunatly I have no fry at present but they are relatively easy to get hold of. Try attending on of the BKA shows near you. The convention is in Halifax and should be comming up shortly. Menbers of the public are allowed in for a small fee.
They are top spawners
Small tank bare bottomed (12x8x8 for a pair or trio 74'f pH6.8 soft and slightly acidic water.
2 floating spawning mops. http://www.aquarticles.com/articles/breedi...awning_Mop.html
sponge filter set to trickle, feed frozen and live foods for best results
float a margarine tub in parent tank and collect the eggs daily (remove from the mop with fingers) place the eggs in the margarine tub which should have 35mm of water in it.
the eggs should hatch within 10-14 days. disguard any fungussed/infertile eggs from tub.
Set up another tub with about 60mm of water in it and when the fry hatch transfer them from the egg tub to this. The fry will accept newly hatched brineshrimp straight away as well as microworms. Feed the fry 3-4 times a day and remove any uneaten food immediately and perform water changes in the tubs daily using a meat/turkey baster.
Any more specific questions don't be afraid to ask. In the meantime I'll ask around to see if any colleagues have or can source some stock for you.
Regards
BigC

Thanks for the help BigC it is very much appriciated as i have looked everywhere to find this fish butno look it is the same with another killifish i am after the Clown Killi (Pseudepiplatys annulatus) as there are not many suppliers/stockists of these fish around my area :good: all help would be much appriciated p.s i would much rather to be able to have some already born fish than eggs as i dont have a clue on how to raise the eggs :good:

Bingo, This could be your lucky day! I have a very good friend up in County Fermanagh who has zillions of Ps. annulatus Guinee.
If you go about it in the right manner I'm sure he will send you some. The cost is between you and him. Let me know what you decide.
Regards
BigC
PS. Your only problem here is that I know for a fact he uses rainwater and they seem to love it. So you would seriously need to make arrangements for testing his water and try to match it or alternatively aclimatise the fish very very slowly. In either case you would be best trying to match it or at least get close if you wish to spawn them for future generations.
Let me know and I'll speak to him first and send you his email address whereby you can contact him direct.

Always glad to help a Yorkshire man. (Lived in Bradford for many a year, still have many good aquarist friends there)
Try joining a local aquarist society, I think Halifax A.S. is still going, honestly speaking these are the places to source almost any fish not to mention the knowledge you will gleam from members and contacts. Joining Bradford and District A.S. back in the early eightys was the single most influential thing I ever done in my time in the hobby.

Halifax Aquarist Society Mr D Fryer Tel 01274 880471

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back