Fire Mouth Ciclid Question

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

~
Colin_T, same info this is what I have done so far -

About 3 weeks ago I added water to a 35 gallon tank, let the powerjet with underground filter run for about 3 weeks now, yesterday added Aquasafe by Tetra, liquid to make tap water safe for tank. I bought an Aquatech 30-60 filter, and added today to the tank. In place now and both underground filter with powerhead and 30-60 filter running. Nothing in tank right now. I will test the water here shortly and let you know levels. Now, the tank all fish are in, there has always been an underground filter with powerhead and aquatech 30-60 filter, it had the biofilter, the other charcoal and blue filter as well. Always been in there. Temperature is about 76-78 degrees. As far as testing this is what I have so far:
PH - 7.6 High range PH - between 8.0 and 8.2 , Ammonia - 0 Nitrite - 0 Nitrate, not sure yet have to check that and will test shortly. Let me know what ya think so far will get back to you on nitrate test.
~
Colin_T -
New tank readings as of today:
PH 7.6 High range PH - 8.4 Ammonia = 0 Nitrite - 2.0 ppm Nitrate 20ppm

You need to get your nitrites and nitrates down.
You need the ammonia and nitrite on 0 at all times, and the nitrates below 20ppm.

The easiest way to lower/ dilute chemicals in the tank is with big water changes. Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate every day until the levels are 0.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before nit's added to the tank.

Okay so update. Separate tank, have done water changes every 2-3 days, and then treated Cichlid, by itself, with API General Cure that treats paristic fish disease. Have gone through that cycle and Cichlid is still alive but often curled up at the bottom in a U, seems exhausted at times trying to grab food, and other times seems can swim well, but in bursts, But he still stays at bottom curled up and breathing hard. Letting the addition of the filters with charcoal set in after taking them out during medicine administered, (per directions) - any suggestions now to move forward? Thanks for all your help thus far.

Do a big water change. The fish should not be curled up, that is normally only done if the fish is in pain or really unwell. Doing a big water change every day for a week, is the best way to dilute medications in the water.

If carbon has been used in a tank, then it should be thrown away after being taken out. If you use carbon for a bit and let it dry then use it again, the carbon can release chemicals that it has adsorbed, back into the water. Once carbon has been used in a tank, it should be discarded and not re-used.

The fish struggles to swim because of the swim bladder problem. It will be like that for the rest of its life.

Just keep the water clean, feed it regularly and monitor the water quality.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back