Fire Mouth Ciclid Question

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Harry Brake

Reaction score
Hello! Just a general question about Firemouth Ciclids I have in a tank. I have 5 in a 35 gallon tank, and one particular Ciclid. which I believe is female based on size, burrowing under a small cave decoration, has one unusual behavior, and not sure if this is a problem - a problem that is needed to be solved with medicine. This smaller Ciclidm, when fed, seems as they can barely make it to the top of the tank, using all its energy to reach the top, to get the flakes, then "sinks" to the bottom as if all energy expended after a minute or so. Not sure if this is an effect of ready to lay eggs? Or another physical issue? Hides most of the time under the cave decoration, while the others, larger swim around the tank. No visible issues on the outside regarding injuries, or indications of any other dissease etc after researching. Wanted to check to see any thoughts/advice on this? Thanks so much!

What are your water parameters?
Is anything else in the tank?
How long has it been set up?

You're quite over stocked. That 30 gallon is probably only good for 1 of those firemouths.

If a fish cannot stay afoat, it can be the start of swim bladder infection

What are your water parameters?
Is anything else in the tank?
How long has it been set up?

You're quite over stocked. That 30 gallon is probably only good for 1 of those firemouths.

If a fish cannot stay afoat, it can be the start of swim bladder infection

Reply - The tank is - a 55 gallon tank, temperature about 76-78 degrees, filtered and water quality watched very closely. Total of 5 firemouths and 2 bala sharkss. I was thinking of taking some out and putting into a 30 gallon tank, Was actually thinking of taking the Ciclid with floating problems, and adding to an empty 30 gallon I have, treating with salt and peas - first then removing maybe 2 bala sharks and having the 2 bala harks and one cicid? in the 30 gallon? The tank has been set up for since march 2019?

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

Any chance of a picture and short 20 second video of the fish?
If the pictures are too big for the website, set the camera's resolution to its lowest setting and take some more. The lower resolution will make the images smaller and they should fit on this website. Check the pictures on your pc and find a couple that are clear and show the problem, and post them here. Make sure you turn the camera's resolution back up after you have taken the pics otherwise all your pictures will be small.

If the video is too big for this website, post it on YouTube and copy & paste the link here. We can view it at YouTube. If you are using a mobile phone to take the video, have the phone horizontal so the video takes up the entire screen. If you have the phone vertical, you get video in the middle and black on either side.

-----------------------------
Bala Sharks (aka silver sharks) grow to about 12 inches long and need a huge tank. They are a schooling fish that should be kept in groups of 6 or more, and they jump when startled.

The fish that has trouble swimming and hides a lot has some issues and these are not related to breeding.

Most cichlids live in caves that can be man made or dug under rocks and ornaments.

The fish could be a subordinate male that is being bullied and is hiding to avoid the stress of being attacked.

As mentioned by Metalhead, if a fish is having trouble staying buoyant in the water, it could be a swim bladder issue.

If the pictures are too big for the website, set the camera's resolution to its lowest setting and take some more. The lower resolution will make the images smaller and they should fit on this website. Check the pictures on your pc and find a couple that are clear and show the problem, and post them here. Make sure you turn the camera's resolution back up after you have taken the pics otherwise all your pictures will be small.

If the video is too big for this website, post it on YouTube and copy & paste the link here. We can view it at YouTube. If you are using a mobile phone to take the video, have the phone horizontal so the video takes up the entire screen. If you have the phone vertical, you get video in the middle and black on either side.

Bala Sharks (aka silver sharks) grow to about 12 inches long and need a huge tank. They are a schooling fish that should be kept in groups of 6 or more, and they jump when startled.

The fish that has trouble swimming and hides a lot has some issues and these are not related to breeding.

Most Cichlids live in caves that can be man made or dug under rocks and ornaments.

The fish could be a subordinate male that is being bullied and is hiding to avoid the stress of being attacked.

As mentioned by Metalhead, if a fish is having trouble staying buoyant in the water, it could be a swim bladder issue.
~

Colin_T - attached is the video of the Cichlid, the url on Utube,

not sure if this helps? Any advice - (thanks for the info so far) welcome. I am ready /considering isolating this Cichlid in a tank, 35 gallon, by itself and treating with Epsom Salt - if you think the bladder infection is it? The other Cichlids do not bother this one, however, since smaller, might be intimidated. It burrows in the cave constantly, has burrowed out alot of the gravel underneath, etc.. Thanks so much.
Harry Brake

Most cichlids live in caves that can be man made or dug under rocks and ornaments.

~

Colin_T, Here is the video url -
Thanks for the advice so far. Was thinking of changing out this Cichlid into a tank of its own, and then, treating with Epson Salt and peas if you think - bladder is the issue? Other Cichlids do not seem to try and go after this one, but is the smallest in the tank, so might feel intimidated. Any thoughts appreciated, thanks!

If you have a spare tank, separate the fish because it is really skinny and terrified of the other fish.

It does appear to have a swim bladder problem. Peas and Epsom salts won't help.

Set up another tank with an established filter, some gravel and a cave. Feed the fish 3-5 times a day with a variety of dry, frozen but defrosted, and live foods. Remove any uneaten food after feeding.
The extra food should help the fish put on some condition and might help the swim bladder problem.

Raw or cooked prawn/ shrimp is an ideal food to help condition South American cichlids. Buy some frozen prawn from a bait shop or supermarket and keep them in the freezer. Take one out and defrost it. Remove the head, shell and gut (thin black tube) and throw these bits away. Use a pr of scissors to cut the remaining prawn tail into little bite size pieces and offer a few bits at a time. Let the fish eat until it is full. Remove uneaten food after feeding.

Monitor the fish's poop and tell us what it looks like.

Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate every couple of days for a few weeks.

Post a new video after a couple of weeks and we will go from there.

If you have a spare tank, separate the fish because it is really skinny and terrified of the other fish.

It does appear to have a swim bladder problem. Peas and Epsom salts won't help.

Set up another tank with an established filter, some gravel and a cave. Feed the fish 3-5 times a day with a variety of dry, frozen but defrosted, and live foods. Remove any uneaten food after feeding.
The extra food should help the fish put on some condition and might help the swim bladder problem.

Raw or cooked prawn/ shrimp is an ideal food to help condition South American cichlids. Buy some frozen prawn from a bait shop or supermarket and keep them in the freezer. Take one out and defrost it. Remove the head, shell and gut (thin black tube) and throw these bits away. Use a pr of scissors to cut the remaining prawn tail into little bite size pieces and offer a few bits at a time. Let the fish eat until it is full. Remove uneaten food after feeding.

Monitor the fish's poop and tell us what it looks like.

Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate every couple of days for a few weeks.

Post a new video after a couple of weeks and we will go from there.
~

Wow okay this is a alot but I am on it. Getting a filter for the new tank and will begin moving to this today and will keep you posted. Thanks so much. Would you advise no other fish with this Cichild in the new tank? Thanks!

Wait!

"getting a filter for the new tank" isn't going to work. You must use an established filter or your water conditions will not be suitable for even a strong fish.

Colin had mentioned to set up the tank with an established filter, gravel, and cave. This is absolutely the best thing to do, and you must use a filter that has been established as previously stated.

Let's start from the beginning here since water condition can be the cause of the infection and good water is important during the healing process.

Do you know about the cycling process?
What are ammonia, nitrate and nitrite levels on your tank?

Do not put any other fish in the tank with the sick one. Just give it a tank of its own and let it build up some strength and recover.

Depending on your current filter, you might be able to take some of the filter material from that and use it in the new filter. This would give you an established biological filter and help keep ammonia and nitrite levels at 0.

Sq
Wait!

"getting a filter for the new tank" isn't going to work. You must use an established filter or your water conditions will not be suitable for even a strong fish.

Colin had mentioned to set up the tank with an established filter, gravel, and cave. This is absolutely the best thing to do, and you must use a filter that has been established as previously stated.

Let's start from the beginning here since water condition can be the cause of the infection and good water is important during the healing process.

Do you know about the cycling process?
What are ammonia, nitrate and nitrite levels on your tank?
~
Okay Metalhead88 -

About 3 weeks ago I added water to a 35 gallon tank, let the powerjet with underground filter run for about 3 weeks now, yesterday added Aquasafe by Tetra, liquid to make tap water safe for tank. I bought an Aquatech 30-60 filter, and added today to the tank. In place now and both underground filter with powerhead and 30-60 filter running. Nothing in tank right now. I will test the water here shortly and let you know levels. Now, the tank all fish are in, there has always been an underground filter with powerhead and aquatech 30-60 filter, it had the biofilter, the other charcoal and blue filter as well. Always been in there. Temperature is about 76-78 degrees. As far as testing this is what I have so far:
PH - 7.6 High range PH - between 8.0 and 8.2 , Ammonia - 0 Nitrite - 0 Nitrate, not sure yet have to check that and will test shortly. Let me know what ya think so far will get back to you on nitrate test.

Do not put any other fish in the tank with the sick one. Just give it a tank of its own and let it build up some strength and recover.

Depending on your current filter, you might be able to take some of the filter material from that and use it in the new filter. This would give you an established biological filter and help keep ammonia and nitrite levels at 0.
~
Colin_T, same info this is what I have done so far -

About 3 weeks ago I added water to a 35 gallon tank, let the powerjet with underground filter run for about 3 weeks now, yesterday added Aquasafe by Tetra, liquid to make tap water safe for tank. I bought an Aquatech 30-60 filter, and added today to the tank. In place now and both underground filter with powerhead and 30-60 filter running. Nothing in tank right now. I will test the water here shortly and let you know levels. Now, the tank all fish are in, there has always been an underground filter with powerhead and aquatech 30-60 filter, it had the biofilter, the other charcoal and blue filter as well. Always been in there. Temperature is about 76-78 degrees. As far as testing this is what I have so far:
PH - 7.6 High range PH - between 8.0 and 8.2 , Ammonia - 0 Nitrite - 0 Nitrate, not sure yet have to check that and will test shortly. Let me know what ya think so far will get back to you on nitrate test.

~
Colin_T, same info this is what I have done so far -

~
Nitrate is somewhere between 40-80 colors look the same to me. I have been feeding more lately so food can get to the Cichlid - so I think this is why as of late the Nitrate is higher than it has been,

Sq

~
Okay Metalhead88 -

~
Nitrate is somewhere between 40-80 colors look the same to me. I have been feeding more lately so food can get to the Cichlid - so I think this is why as of late the Nitrate is higher than it has been,

Sq

~
Okay Metalhead88 -

~
New tank readings as of today:
PH 7.6 High range PH - 8.4 Ammonia = 0 Nitrite - 2.0 ppm Nitrate 20ppm

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back