Fire Eel

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Mmmm :/ You give me an idea i will soak the prawn in blood worm and put your theory to the test would be great if mine took prawn let you know the out come. :good:

I would be very interested if it works for you as well. Just so you know I am not 100% sure that is what happened, It maybe just a coincidence that my hands were all bloodwormy at the time.

Hi,

Sorry didn't get back to you, went away to visit family.

He is actually doing really well, he now takes frozen bloodworm and I have even caught him interested in some courgette(!???!).

I have only been running tanks for six months so excuse my ignorance but is brine shrimp the same as river shrimp, if so he hasn't touched it.

What is your opinion on live foods??? I have read that because its not treated like frozen it can introduce disease into the tank. Is this true??

Unfortunately, I have a case of white spot in the tank and the Eel is only slightly infected. I have been treating the tank, so hopefully all will be well.

I have to say though, I fallen in love, he is such a character.

Regards

Cara

Hi cjohnston

Was just wondering how you are getting on with feeding your eel have you tried river shrimp yet they normaly dont hang around when that goes in the tank i feed mine live and hand feed defrosted ones let us know how you are getting on.

cane76 have you tried frozen shrimp yet if so did he take it i find they smell alot and he picks up the sent as soon as it hits the water.
I have tried to keep the shrimp in a tank but they always seem to flake out on me do yours stay alive for long as i would love to breed them in a spare tank.

No brineshrimp is not rivershrimp.

Livefoods can introduce disease, yes.

What med are you using to treat the whitespot some are bad for eels.

Hi Cara

As jayjay said be carfull with your meds for ich as most are not good for fish without scales i have never infected the tank with live food before but i do always sieve through a net and then drop them in.

I have heard that live food can introduce disease but personally I have never worried about it myself. Live foods are just a way of starting a fish on eating and help encourage them to eat frozen foods.

Diseases from livefoods are normally from live diseased fish and things like bloodworm collected from water with fish in.

Do any of you guys feed prawns?

You can get 1kg of prawns for £5 at Iceland :D

my last one did that climbed out!! doh.. he was my pride and joy for years and so easy to feed. my new one I've had a month only takes live blood and earth worms which is a pain and worrying. where do you get river shrimp from. i don't think I have seen it

I have recently found out that in america they call prwns, shrimps.

I don't know why but a lot of american things are dodgey so... what can you expect. They can't even spell the word colour correct lol.

kidin'

I have recently found out that in america they call prwns, shrimps.

I don't know why but a lot of american things are dodgey so... what can you expect. They can't even spell the word colour correct lol.

kidin'

OT..
wow really???? I never got the 'throw another shrimp on the barbie' line so fondly used in the 80's-90's in regards to Australia. Shrimp are Shrimp, Prawns are Prawns. I've never heard of anyone eating a shrimp before!

Well I was in America just last week, and in restaurants etc. they had King Shrimp etc. on the menu (king shrimp is actually king prawns). Or shrimp pasta for example.

How would a fire eel do in a planted aquarium?

I'm going to buy a 55 gallon tank and I would like a fire eel in it. I have read that it will both dig up the plants but not kill them, and that it will not cause any damage at all.

Most reactions

Back