Fire Belly Newts

Nice firebelly! Do you know if it's a Chinese or Japanese? Check out this website for more info. I bought a Chinese firebelly last June, and a friend for him this February.

Housed them in a half filled 10 gallon tank (water depth is not important) with driftwood, since they need some land area, and used java moss as my main plant. One acclimatised and comfortable in their new homes, the adults tend to be highly aquatic, only resting on rocks or floating plants for short amounts of time.

I went with a Hagen Elite Stingray 5, and I have no complaints, they're really quiet and the tank was less than 3 feet away from my head when I went to bed. Thanks for The-Wolf for introducing it to me! :D

Had other plants in there as well, some Rotala rotundifolia and a few small crypts. Had 22w of 6700K compact flourescent lighting, and they both loved using the java moss to laze in, or as a "ladder" to go up to the surface/drift wood, which juts out of the water. The java moss was good at decreasing the current from the filter, and that's good because I read that firebellies don't appreciate much current in their tanks.

Had 5 WCMMs in there too, and a colony of ghost shrimp (also constanty found scavenging for food on the java moss) but the tank was really low maintence. No heater as the newts prefer temps. of less than 74F, (14-20°C/58-68°F) is what Caudata recommends, and I know that WCMMs can stand the temp. too... I fed the newts frozen bloodworms twice every week, and some ghost shrimp once a week, WCMMs got the twice weekly bloodworms and fish flakes the other days... I also gave the newts freeze-dried tubifex worm cubes, keeping in mind that they're carnivores, as well as messy and slow eaters, since they primarily use their sense of smell to hunt/detect food... Changed half of the tank's volume weekly.

Sadly, I had to sell the whole set up mid-May, as I was going on a 4 month vacation and didn't have anyone to take care of them. At least I know they're in good hands, and the newts have been transfered to a 30 gallon tank, and the WCMMs in a pond (Whose inhabitants are all indoors now I hope :S )

The toxins they excrete will be harmful for any animal (frog) that tries to eat it, but won't do anything to the average joe. As long as you wash your hands after touching them (not recommended, they're more looking pets, not touching, if you get what I mean) you should be alright... I had real fun setting up that tank, and watching with surprise as a few lost ghost shrimp I bought as feeder shrimp managed to escape the newts, and started a colony. That was pretty good because I saved a few dollars that way... :hey:

They're really interactive, and mine would always try to eat my finger if I put it up against the glass. They also realise when it's time to eat, and always had a friendly spate when it was dinner time. Don't forget to use a secure lid as there have been many cases of them escaping from gaps and holes . Mine did the same thing, and I was lucky to have found him under my couch in the morning after I woke up, all covered in dust. Placed him back in the tank and he was right as rain.)

Hope I haven't missed out on any important information... Anyways, let me leave you with some pics of my older CFB, and an open invite to anyone on here to PM me if you need to know something about firebellied newts.

f1c0bcd6.jpg

In a smaller "tank" after first realised I couldn't keep him with my other fish since he needed land. :unsure: :sad:

78574015.jpg

Just hanging around... :rolleyes:

b9b078d7.jpg

trying to hide, eh!

yer you can. Tank is on desk, bucket on floor, syphons exactly the same. I do a 50% waterchange every week or 2.

Ben

:wub: Awww beautiful pics everyone!

They really are such great little things, and as you've rightly chosen, they do much better on their own ;)

Here's my caresheet for FBN's B)

Common Name: Oriental Firebellied Newt.

Scientific name: Cynops orientalis.

Originates From: Throughout Eastern China.

Most Active During: Daytime, Diurnal.

Longevity (life expectancy): The oldest specimen of this species lived to over 9 years, around 5 is more likely.

Position in Viv: Almost fully aquatic, semi terrestrial.

Size: 2.5-4 inches.

Sexing: Males have higher placed tails and obvious bulges at the base of the tail especially during the breeding season. The males tend to be smaller in build than the females.

Water Supply: Water should be dechlorinated in the same way as for fish, 1/3 of the water volume should be changed once per week and replaced with fresh cold dechlorinated water. These Newts are usually almost entirely aquatic and should be provided with a good depth of water at least 8 inches.

Substrate: Smooth pea gravel large enough to prevent the newts accidently eating it while feeding.

UV Lighting: N/A

Humidity Requirements: N/A

Temperatures and Heating Equipment: Temperatures of 58-68°F(14-20°C) No additional heating is required and infact most room temperatures are too hot for these newts. They should be placed in the coolest room of the house. These newts can be overwintered at 40-60°F(5-15°C) to induce breeding and will still remain active at such low temperatures.

Housing: A glass aquarium of 18-24" long is sufficient for 3 or 4 of these newts, care should be taken to ensure a secure condensation tray is used as a lid, these newts can and will climb up walls and straight out! A small filter is a good idea, but nothing that will cause a strong water current.

Decor: The aquarium should be heavily planted, preferably with live aquatic plants such as Elodea densa, Elodea crispa, Microsporum pteropus (java fern) and Cabomba aquatica. There should be at least a small area of built up rocks at one end to allow these newts to climb fully out of the water, or alternatively a floating platform of corkbark can be used.

Diet: Carnivorous. Firebellied newts can be fed a variety of small livefoods and frozen foods such as Daphnia, Bloodworm, chopped Earthworms, Woodlice or commercial newt and aquatic frog pellets. They should be fed 4 times per week or every other day, variety is key to their good health, so a different food at each feed is best.

General Ease Of Care: These semi aquatics newts are an ideal easy to care for pet, although you may never handle them, they are great to watch and cute too! They are a hardy pet as long as their water and general environment is kept clean enough and free of uneaten foods.

Charlotte Goble ©2004.

I hope this helps others who are also interested in them :thumbs:

Do people keep the firebelly newts from the Pacific Northwest as pets? I've seen some in a lake when I went hiking in the Olympic Mts.

<Oh, someone told me we have rough skinned newts here. I was confused...nevermind>

Hey, they cost from around £6 - £8. But you can pay up to around £12/£13 for a large Japanese one. These ones pictured are all Chinese.

I have the elite mini filter and a tank that would be big enough, how have people set up their tank?
I know you need some land but would it be ok for the filter bottom to be partially submerged and the top fully out of the water?
Also any pics would be great, i havnt had much to do with them since uni lol and ive always loved them :D

:wub: Awww beautiful pics everyone!

They really are such great little things, and as you've rightly chosen, they do much better on their own ;)

Here's my caresheet for FBN's B)

Common Name: Oriental Firebellied Newt.

Scientific name: Cynops orientalis.

Originates From: Throughout Eastern China.

Most Active During: Daytime, Diurnal.

Longevity (life expectancy): The oldest specimen of this species lived to over 9 years, around 5 is more likely.

Position in Viv: Almost fully aquatic, semi terrestrial.

Size: 2.5-4 inches.

Sexing: Males have higher placed tails and obvious bulges at the base of the tail especially during the breeding season. The males tend to be smaller in build than the females.

Water Supply: Water should be dechlorinated in the same way as for fish, 1/3 of the water volume should be changed once per week and replaced with fresh cold dechlorinated water. These Newts are usually almost entirely aquatic and should be provided with a good depth of water at least 8 inches.

Substrate: Smooth pea gravel large enough to prevent the newts accidently eating it while feeding.

UV Lighting: N/A

Humidity Requirements: N/A

Temperatures and Heating Equipment: Temperatures of 58-68°F(14-20°C) No additional heating is required and infact most room temperatures are too hot for these newts. They should be placed in the coolest room of the house. These newts can be overwintered at 40-60°F(5-15°C) to induce breeding and will still remain active at such low temperatures.

Housing: A glass aquarium of 18-24" long is sufficient for 3 or 4 of these newts, care should be taken to ensure a secure condensation tray is used as a lid, these newts can and will climb up walls and straight out! A small filter is a good idea, but nothing that will cause a strong water current.

Decor: The aquarium should be heavily planted, preferably with live aquatic plants such as Elodea densa, Elodea crispa, Microsporum pteropus (java fern) and Cabomba aquatica. There should be at least a small area of built up rocks at one end to allow these newts to climb fully out of the water, or alternatively a floating platform of corkbark can be used.

Diet: Carnivorous. Firebellied newts can be fed a variety of small livefoods and frozen foods such as Daphnia, Bloodworm, chopped Earthworms, Woodlice or commercial newt and aquatic frog pellets. They should be fed 4 times per week or every other day, variety is key to their good health, so a different food at each feed is best.

General Ease Of Care: These semi aquatics newts are an ideal easy to care for pet, although you may never handle them, they are great to watch and cute too! They are a hardy pet as long as their water and general environment is kept clean enough and free of uneaten foods.

Charlotte Goble ©2004.

I hope this helps others who are also interested in them :thumbs:
Not to say much but my newt is 5 inch 2 centimeters! Hes a big boy.

Most reactions

Back