Finding the right tank mates.

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

shaziasadiqah

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
So, after asking around about how big of a tank I need for my two blackghost knife fish I got many helpful answers and already bought the tank, I just started the cycling process today.
I know that the right size should be 120x60x60 cm tank, but the biggest I could get (budget and space wise) is a 100x40x50 tank, Iā€™m sorry I use cm because we donā€™t really use inch in Indonesia.
I use two medium sponge filter with an air pump that can filter 1500 liters per hour. The temperature in here is around 25c to 30c and I feed my Blackghosts frozen bloodworms. Also, the tank will be heavily planted.

Any suggestions in finding the right tank mates?
I personally interested in Honey Gourami, Corydoras, Platy, Guppy, Angles or Discus.

Any advice regarding the size of the tank, filter or temperature will be much appreciated. And I am open to many suggestions about the tank mates.

My Blackghost are now 7cm and 10cm, my father will gladly adopt my 7cm blackghost once he reaches 10cm.

Thank you very much!

Do you know your GH? GH can be obtained through your water companys website. If it pops up with dh then thats fine as well because it's just the german way of hardness. Also, half of the fish are soft water and the others are hard water. Platys and guppys prefer a ppm of 180ppm- 300ppm and the rest you have listed require ppm below 180ppm. Ideally discus can only really be by themselves with some dither fish such as cardinal tetras and corydoras. I think angels and corydoras are the way to go provided your water allow for them. If you want any tetras, lemon tetras, cardinal tetras etc would be good choices.

My GH is around 125 to 150 mostly it is 150.

my father have 3 angles and 2 blackghosts and they are thriving, heā€™s been keeping them for 6 months. His blackghosts are bigger than mine and the angles are around 4 to 5 cm.

in mind i think i want 3 angles, 4 honey gouramis and 3 corydoras to be my blackghosts tank mates.

would it be too crowded for the blackghost?

I think itā€™s best if Corys are kept in groups of six or more. Iā€™m no cory expert though but someone on here will advise Iā€™m sure.

I think itā€™s best if Corys are kept in groups of six or more. Iā€™m no cory expert though but someone on here will advise Iā€™m sure.
Most people on the internet suggest the absolute minimum of schooling and shoaling fish to be 6, when in reality 8+ would be better. I have witnessed my corys swimming around, chasing each other, and playing with each other. This juts proves they are very social creatures and need a lot of their like species to be happy and healthy. :)

Most people on the internet suggest the absolute minimum of schooling and shoaling fish to be 6, when in reality 8+ would be better. I have witnessed my corys swimming around, chasing each other, and playing with each other. This juts proves they are very social creatures and need a lot of their like species to be happy and healthy. :)
If 8 corys and 3 angles and 4 honey gourami plus the two blackghost wouldnā€™t over-crowded my tank, i would love to have 8 corys, they are so cute and iā€™ve been wanting to have them for so long :)

If you already have a cycled aquarium containing the black ghost knife fish, you can transfer them and their filter into the new tank and you don't need to cycle the new tank.

Do not keep bottom dwelling fishes like Corydoras with big black ghost knife fish. The black ghosts are bottom dwellers and consider other bottom dwellers as intruders into their territory.

Your tank is too small for discus.

Platies and guppies need harder water. They should have water with a GH above 200ppm and a pH above 7.0.

Some small angelfish would be ok but as they mature, a pair will take over the tank and you should get rid of the remaining angels.

If 8 corys and 3 angles and 4 honey gourami plus the two blackghost wouldnā€™t over-crowded my tank, i would love to have 8 corys, they are so cute and iā€™ve been wanting to have them for so long :)
The angels will outcompete the gouramis and if you plan to keep the same species, there will be territorial fights and the angels will most likely force the gouramis out. Best to go with 8-10 corys instead of the gouramis.

If you already have a cycled aquarium containing the black ghost knife fish, you can transfer them and their filter into the new tank and you don't need to cycle the new tank.

Do not keep bottom dwelling fishes like Corydoras with big black ghost knife fish. The black ghosts are bottom dwellers and consider other bottom dwellers as intruders into their territory.

Platies and guppies need harder water. They should have water with a GH above 200ppm and a pH above 7.0.

Some small angelfish would be ok but as they mature, a pair will take over the tank and you should get rid of the remaining

Some small angelfish would be ok but as they mature, a pair will take over the tank and you should get rid of the remaining angels.
I choose to cycle the new tank from scratch because my husband will be using the old tank for Danios.

Will skip the corys then, wonā€™t let them suffer in the tank with Blackghosts.

and about the angles, i think when they mature i will find someone to adopt them, or let my father home them. He have many tanks because heā€™s breeding many guppy and goldfish, heā€™s actually the one who brought me into this hobby.

I just kind of want to have some other fish than the blackghost because since they are only 10cm now the new tank will be so empty. Itā€™ll be just like having a big tank with lots of plants only since the blackghost hide a lot, but i donā€™t want to impulsively buying many fish and putting them in danger when the blackghost are bigger.

thank you for the advice :)

The angels will outcompete the gouramis and if you plan to keep the same species, there will be territorial fights and the angels will most likely force the gouramis out. Best to go with 8-10 corys instead of the gouramis.
Noted with the gourami, too.
Thank you :)

I've had BGK in my community tanks. Other fish i successfully kept with them are Angels, Yoyo and Clown loaches, bristlenose plecos, rainbow fish and empire gudgeons. I've had 2 BGKs, the first got way too big for the tank (20cm) and had to sell him. Didn't see any aggression from them towards the other fish but i never had any fish small enough for them to eat. Only thing i found was if you keep bottom dwellers then the BGK will out compete them for food because their mouths get big enough to just suck up whole sinking pellets before the other fish get a chance to eat. Love the BGK though, very nice fish to watch moving about!

Yes, after treating my bigger BGK in a quarantine tank because he got fin rot i really get the chance to see how cute he is, he eat from my hand and really responsive whenever iā€™m around the tank, but now in his own tank with his friend (another BGK) because he got lots of hiding spot he rarely swim around, he usually just come out at night.

keeping two BGK only will be fun for sure, but again.... it will be like having a big tank with nothing in it but plants because BGK hides a lot.

thank you for the advice :)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back