Finally Getting My Tank!

DanaLeChiffre

Fish Fanatic
Joined
Oct 11, 2008
Messages
98
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Dumbartonshire, West of Glasgow
I am just back from viewing a Juwel 240. Built in filter with extra filter, 2 heaters ( I think it was ) and the cabinet too. 90 British pounds. The woman selling had Discus before selling the tank so she knows alot about keeping fish and the tank seemed good.

All I need to get now is sand, plants ( I Need to add them slowly ) a thermomater and I think that is it.

When I get time to clean it, I was going to give it a clean with some hot water just to be safe.


Did I miss anything important?? ( I always do )
 
I would use more than just hot water. I would fill it with water and bleach and leave it overnight. That way you get a sterilized clean tank ready for fishless cycle. 1 gallon bleach to 10 gallons water is the ratio.
 
Just make sure if you use bleach you rinse it well and get rid of every trace of bleach out the tank before filling it. You will need to get a dechlorinator to add to the water when filling.
Have you read the posts about cycling?
 
Hi, DanaLeChiffre,
just wanted to say :hi: and congrats on the tank.
Can I hope we'll get to see pictures once it's set up?
 
Hello DanaLeChiffre welcome to TFF :good: sounds like you got yourself a nice deal good luck with setting it up :nod:
 
good deal, and good u got it from some1 experienced. we cant wait to see it once its set up. bleechin it would be a good idea, i agree w/ that. u got it just in time for the holidays, too.
 
Ok.. So i'll get bleach to wash it and leave it over night.Cool. Can I use any bleach??


It really really needs a clean. The smoke of smoke coming from it is sickly. I'll wash the tank and use bleach whipes to clean the outside and cabitnet.
OH!!! One filter is built in. do I have to keep the bleach out of it???


I'll get you pictures after christmas, because we're moving house......right now.lol. On "Tea Break"
 
Leave the bleach in the laundry room. If you are getting a nice tank from someone who knows how to care for her fish and tanks, a good cleaning with plain water would be about right. If you find there are stains on the glass, you can use a bit of salt to scrub it without harming the glass. If you are concerned about diseases, take the precaution of allowing the tank to get thoroughly dried out since most fish type disease organisms can't survive without any moisture. A gallon of bleach in 10 gallons of water might be OK for sterilizing a hospital floor but I will never do that to an aquarium. Even in the hospital, I doubt they would go that far trying to use bleach to sterilize a floor but they might.
To make a batch of chlorine for adding to drinking water you start by mixing a gallon of bleach in about 50 gallons of water, then you put a very small amount of that mix into the water supply as it is being used. The chlorine in your drinking water is typically in very low numbers of ppm, not at 0.5% as it would be with that huge dose. The 1 or 2 ppm is what your dechlorinator can deal with effectively.
 
:S ...ok.
I have washed it with bleach and i will clean it out tomorrow. Trust me it needed the bleach, the tank is nasty. It will take time to clean the outside never mind the inside. But not to worry, when i clean the bleach out i'll rinse it with water to make sure all bleach out.
 
Hey! i noticed in ur sig u hav a dragon! wuz that there yesterday? anyways, glad u used bleech but u couldve used oldman's way as well. there r many, many methods to clean a tank, u just hav 2 find the 1 that works best 4 u. smoke of smoke? like smoke comin out of the smoke? looks like ur tank mite be haunted, lol. make sure ALL the bleech is out, or it could poison ur fishies. then ud hav even more hauntings. if u get bleech in the filter just rinse it out well.

Happy Holidays! :- -heart :wub: , ally86ozzy
 
I'd just make sure you rinse everything very well,even if you could get the tank outside and turn the hose on it.You're going to be a few weeks cycling your filter and tank anyway,so lots of large water changes whilst doing this should take care of any residual traces of bleach.
Also,I'd get brand new filter pads etc and let the casing run under the tap for a good while.
 
Can you help me with the filters??
DSC00392.jpg

DSC00394.jpg

DSC00398.jpg

Do I put these in there???


http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x202/Fr...er/DSC00397.jpg
Standard size or compact????


The filters are really confusing me :unsure: :blink: :blush:
 
hang on, just becuase se kept discuss that makes her experianced? she could be killing tem every week from poor water and then re stocking, i could keep some but they would probably die. does that make me experianced?
 

Most reactions

Back
Top