Finally Found A New Home

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

mbeer21

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Yesterday I finally managed to rehome my 8 inch Bala shark. I was very sad to see him go, but he's going on to a 6foot tank with the possibility of moving to a 12ft after that, so I'm sure he'll be much happier there than in my little 3 foot tank
smile.png

Funny, even though I wasn't his original owner, I was actually at the fish store with them when he was first being purchased, over 5 years go. A year down the line, I inherited him when that owner decided they didn't want fish any more. Since that time he's moved house twice, moved towns twice, and grown huge XD Sure going to miss him, he was such a character.

Bye Bruce!
20121105_123101.jpg

What a beautiful fish - would love to keep these one day but can never see myself having a tank big enough for a shoal of these. My realistic aim is to get a tank big enough for a shoal of Denison barbs instead

Pfft xD This is why it bugs me when I see someone new to fish tank owning put three baby bala sharks in there aquarium after being told by the sales person "Oh yeah the'll be fine in a 10 gallon aquarium"

Glad he's being given to a great home :D

Nice. Am I the only one when that cringes when I see tons of these for sale in LFS's, knowing that probably 95% will be going to very unsuitable tanks? Like the clown loach?

No your not its sickening to see - my parents bought a fish tank a few years ago and were convinced by the salesman that 6 clown loaches would fit perfectly in their 2 week old 3 foot tank.

This was after they had taken back a red tailed shark they had been reccomend by the same shop.

Without a bit of research on sites like this it's no wonder so many people get it wrong.

Your not the only ones... I work in an aquatics store and *i* hate having fish like sharks and clown loaches, eels and kissing gouramis and even gold fish!

If it were me, i'd maybe stock a few of the species but only ones where I could have adults on display too and i'd be really strict as to who could buy them....

However... with nearly 400 odd large aquatic outlets of a specific chain all over the UK, they are the nightmare of every other aquatic shop when you refuse to sell a fish and explain why and all you get from the customer is "fine.... i'll just go to the other shop then" and you know they will be sold the fish anyway.... better to sell the fish and make very sure the people know what they are getting into then letting them go buy it elsewhere and not get that information...

You have to bear in mind that maybe 90% of an aquatics store's customers dont actually care about the fish in the same way that hobbiests like everyone on this forum do.... to most people, the fish are just a pet, they are cute and want the tank to look 'nice'... but beyond that... it doesnt mean anything.

Think of the poor staff who have to make the choice... 'sell fish or lose job'...

Not so nice for the rest of us either remember :p

Sorry to hijack, but I have just acquired a tank with two 3 inch bala sharks - what is the best way to rehome them? I was going to take them to my lfs (MA) but from the above post it's maybe not the best idea...?

JenJ, I tried my LFS first - they would take him for no cost, but they showed me the tank he would be going in - barely larger than my current one, and already very, very full of large fish. Not a happier life for him :/ So I advertised him on Gumtree. Took nearly a month, but finally found him a home :)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back