Final Bubbles After Priming

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

waterdrop

Enthusiastic "Re-Beginner"
Reaction score
(Query to see who does what) When you clean your external cannister filter, do you take any concious steps to minimize air bubbles in that media when the filter is returned to the tank, primed and re-started? After I let my cannister refill from the input tube and prime and restart it, I usually lift the filter box and tip the vertical angle a few times, giving it a short shake, to help move those last bubbles up out of the media, through the impeller and out the output tube.

What I'm wondering is whether those of you doing this for years more than I have have found any habits that minimize these final bubbles that have to work their way out. Do you refill your filter box, shake your trays a bit under that water, squeeze your sponges/floss etc. prior to re-sealing the cannister and reconnecting it to the tank hoses perhaps?

Its not a big deal, but I'm aware that at its worst a couple of slightly larger bubbles could form in the impeller area, interrupt the water flow and even potentially burn out your powerhead. So sometimes when I walk away from a cleaning job I'm left with that low-percentage worry. At the opposite extreme, perhaps that's a silly concern.

WD

I have a Fluval 405

I let it gravity fill from intake hose, when full i pump the prime a few times until larger bubbles are expelled. Turn it on and tilt it slightly to the side (back & forth) until running silently and no more bubbles are expelled

takes a few minutes

Like you, I always tilt the filter a few times and give it a shake to help expel any trapped air.

Works well for me.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back