Fin smaller on one side

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Luna0341

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have a female Elephant Ear Betta and she's has gotten pretty big in the last few months. Color looks good, fins all look good. But I've noticed that her fin on her one side is significantly larger than fin on other side. Is this normal?

Pictures of the fish?

Most fish have evenly sized fins on both sides. however, the fish could be a dud or have a genetically shorter fin. As long as the fish is eating well and not having trouble swimming, it should be fine. It just won't be a show fish.

Sorry they are so blurry , she kept wiggling. She's pretty quick. But you can see there are no stress stripes or fin rot. My water conditions are absolutely perfect. Just her left fin is large and her right side significantly smaller

Attachments

• IMG_20220615_160644588.jpg
    IMG_20220615_160644588.jpg
    183 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_20220615_160654998.jpg
    IMG_20220615_160654998.jpg
    186.7 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_20220615_160700124.jpg
    IMG_20220615_160700124.jpg
    185.4 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_20220615_160704102.jpg
    IMG_20220615_160704102.jpg
    198.9 KB · Views: 40
Pictures of the fish?

Most fish have evenly sized fins on both sides. however, the fish could be a dud or have a genetically shorter fin. As long as the fish is eating well and not having trouble swimming, it should be fine. It just won't be a show fish.
What's a show fish and what's a dud?

What's a show fish and what's a dud?

A show fish is literally just a fish that's "good enough" to enter fish shows. This one would be a dud to someone who was breeding to show, genetic flukes happen and they can't all be winners - but makes absolutely no difference to them being a wonderful pet! So long as she can swim okay :)

Oh lol, I had no idea there was such thing as a fish show. Well I won't be showing her haha. She's just my pet. She's a fun little fish.

Also her gills have turned silver, I don't know what that's about. It's not ich, and I don't think it's fungus. I think I it's just a natural color change. She's changed color before, her head use to be red now it's grey. And she use to be more white and pink where she's more teal color now.

Just colouration and nothing to worry about.

White spot (ich) looks like little grains of salt sprinkled over the fish. The fish usually rub on objects in the tank and if left untreated, the number of white dots increases until the fish dies a couple of weeks after the first dots appeared. White spot needs to be introduced into the aquarium so if you don't add any new fish, plants, shrimp, snails, or contaminated water from another tank, you will never see it in your tanks.

The most common fungus on fish is Saprolegnia, which looks like fluffy white stuff sticking out of part of the fish. It gets into open wounds so if the fish is never injured, it should never get fungus.

I was pretty sure it was nothing. You reassuring me makes me feel better. And the small fin? Any ideas? I'm going to keep an eye on it. Its kinda like she got a growth spurt. Cause in that last month she has grew alot. She was tiny when I got her, now she huge. It's like one fin is growing faster or something. By like alot. It's very noticeable.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back