fin rot

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

corylover5

Fish Herder
2x Pet of the Month 🎖️
Reaction score
I'm going to pick up my friend's betta next week and I will be caring for him for the next month while she is visiting family. I'm not sure about parameters, tank size (although I'm 90% sure I was told a long time ago it was a 5 gallon with a filter and heater), and I don't have pics of the betta but I was told the Betta wasn't doing well and had shredded fins which I'm thinking is fin rot. She said she tried to treat it (I'm not sure how) but it wouldn't go away. I plan on going to Petco to get some salt to treat him with but I don't know what kind of salt to get or how much to treat him with. Would this kind of salt work? https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/product/imagitarium-aquarium-salt

Any brand of aquarium salt will do. 1 heaped tablespoon of aquarium, rock or filter pool salt per 5 gallons of water.
Finrot comes from poor water quality, there is an answer to water parameters, and also can be treated with 75% daily water changes.
I personally think you should adopt the betta, but that's my opinion.

When she got the Betta he already had fin rot and she was trying to help it with 75% weekly water changes but she's having a hard time curing it so I figured I can help the Betta for the month I have him. Thanks for the advice. I'm getting the salt today.

When she got the Betta he already had fin rot and she was trying to help it with 75% weekly water changes but she's having a hard time curing it so I figured I can help the Betta for the month I have him. Thanks for the advice. I'm getting the salt today.
I got my salt today, same cause but cause of possible finrot. Unknown cause tho :/ Anyway, 75% weekly water changes aren't really helpful when treating finrot, daily yes, salt, yes. Do the salt for two weeks in, no more, and then do daily 75% water changes. Just before starting treating the finrot check water parameters first.

Do daily water changes and gravel cleans for 2 weeks and add salt during that time. The combination of salt and clean water should fix the problem.

You can use 1-2 heaped tablespoons of salt for every 20 litres (5 gallons). Start with 1 heaped tablespoon and if there's no improvement after a 4 or 5 days, increase it to 2 heaped tablespoons.

If there's no improvement after a couple of weeks of clean water and salt, you might need anti-biotics.

--------------------
Do you know if your friend has a filter on their tank?
If they don't, then that is probably why the fish still has fin rot.
If they don't have a filter, they should be doing the 75% water change 2-3 times a week.

Follow @Salty&Onion and @Colin_T advice if the parameters are good, tanks clean and its heated and filtered properly. One of my males has slight fin rot that developed from him nipping his tail after catching it on a fake plant in his old tank. I'm currently treating him exactly as @Colin_T has recommended you do and it's starting to not look as ragged

I can check them once I have the Betta but she doesn't have a test kit and can't get to a pet store to have it checked right now.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back