Fin Rot?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

SunnySkies

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
EclipseFish_zpsa7753414.png

Male Crowntail Betta I got a week and a half ago. I've been worrying he's sick and been keeping an eye on him the whole time. Today I happened to notice there was a bit missing and finally managed to get him to hold still and flare long enough to get a really bad phone picture. I really can't tell, being new to this, but is it a disease or is it nothing to worry about?

I doubt it's the water quality, since it's a 2.5 gal tank (I don't have room for anything else. College student and poor.) and it's got a filter plus two live plants hanging around in the other corner. I changed the water Sunday and he's been pretty active. Eats fine, darts around, races to the front of the tank the moment I look at him, etc.

Sorry to contradict you, but if you only got him 10 days ago, and there's nothing else in the tank, then it could easily be ammonia that's the problem.

The fish produces a finite amount of ammonia - in a small tank, that finite amount is a greater proportion than in a large tank. Therefore smaller tanks are more problematic than large ones.

Assuming you don't have your own test kit, I suggest you take a sample of the water to your LFS (local fish shop) and ask them to test it for ammonia, nitrite and pH. Have them write down the actual results (not just fob you off with "they're fine") and post them back on here.

Lovely looking Betta!

Do you have a heater in that small tank? You don't mention this.

TLM makes some good comments and getting water test results would be a good first step in trying figure out if there are any problems with your water quality.

Also, you don't mention if your tank/filter is cycled or not? 

Have a read of this, has more information that you'll need to know. 

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/421488-cycling-your-new-fresh-water-tank-read-this-first/

Ah, apologies. It was extremely late when I started this.

Yes, there's a small unadjustable heater in there that has been doing well with keeping the water fairly stable and the tank hasn't been cycled.

I'm just glad he's not sick. Had to move him twice now due to school and was worried about him being stressed.

Tested the water. As far as I can tell (got a master kit online) these are the results.

pH = 7.8 (the tap water here is the same level)
Ammonia = .5 ppm
Nitrite = ??? (it was the prettiest shade of purple but didn't match anything so 5+?)
Nitrate = 20-40 ppm

All I can guess is (because his fins are looking a lil better) is that the pH at home is significantly different than here. Or changes in the cycle. Thanks for the help though!

With the results you have gotten with the test kit,  you need to be doing daily 50% water changes to keep the levels somewhat safe for your fish. Especially in the small tank you have.  Glad to hear his fins are doing better.  Most fin issues can be fixed with clean warm water.  

I'd also say that with that much nitrite in the water, 100% water change ASAP.

Your tank is currently going through a 'fish in' cycle where the bacteria are processing the ammonia and converting it into nitrite. A second bacteria population is slowly growing right now that will process the nitrite and convert it into nitrate, a form much less hazardous for your fish, but it isn't established yet - and in the meantime the nitrite is going to put your betta at risk of severe illness and possibly death. 

Changing the water won't affect the cycle as the bacteria grow on your filter media etc; however if you do not dechlorinate your water before putting it in with any water change, the chlorine will kill the growing bacteria and you will be back to square one.

tl;dr: change your (dechlorinated) water 100% and then 50% daily until your test shows 0 ammonia and 0 nitrite in order to avoid making your fish sick. Fortunately water changes cost nothing but a little dechlorinator and some time :)

I did a couple 50% changes and everything's dropped drastically, though I'll keep changing it until, as you suggested, the ammonia and nitrite hit zero. (or at least try. Don't want to do a 100% change with all the stress he's gone through already) Though, my water conditioner DOES detoxify (says anyways) ammonia, nitrate, and nitrite so keeping it low doesn't bother me as much. Thanks for all your help though!

Ammonia: .25ppm
Nitrite: .25ppm
Nitrate: 5ppm

Nice job on the water changes :) - with the levels being lower you might get away with a change every two days or so - just keep an eye on your readings.

Mmkay. Should I be worried that I catch him sometimes nosing/digging around the marbles I have at the bottom? He does it every now and again but instantly swims away when I look at him or get his attention.

There's also a weird deep red spot on his head (barely visible unless looking or he's sitting under the light due to his coloration and it's only on the skin part). It's only right there, I checked for velvet and the rest of him looks normal. He's also acting normal (no clamped fins, moving around, breathing normal, etc) so I'm at a loss. It's just one spot and I'm not sure what it is. Tank's kept between around 80-83 degrees. Suggestions?

Healthy bettas explore their surroundings, and he might also just be scrounging around looking for food; another good sign
smile.png
 I'd say you nipped any major problems in the bud. Good work!

I don't know if there is an illness that has red spots, but it might just be his colouring?

Ugh. I'm really starting to think it is fin rot. The lower fins are slowly getting more ragged looking/broken off looking with some curling on the normal ones. The water's fine and there doesn't appear to be anything to hurt himself on and it's only the anal fin affected (with minor bits on the dorsal). Can't see any red, mainly because he won't stay still and his coloring, but I'm really getting worried now.

Ammonia = 0-.25ppm (at most it's ever gotten in the last week was .5ppm)
Nitrite = .25 ppm - .5
Nitrate = 5-10ppm

Gave him a 100% water change the other day and those were the results this morning. He's not acting any different and likes flaring at his reflection (got a mirror to play with him and to check his fins when he flares out). Suggestions for fixing this and helping grow back his fins? (I'd show a picture but my phone can't focus fast enough and he refuses to stay still for any length of time when I'm giving him any shred of attention.

Without being able to see a good pic of the damaged areas of the fins it is hard to tell you whether it is rot or fin biting.  From the way you describe I am pretty sure he is biting them.  Keep your water very clean (50 - 100% water changes every day - every other day) and warm.  Feed him good food will help as well.  

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back