Fin rot getting worse!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Barry Tetra

Fish Aficionado
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Reaction score
So as you guys may already know, my betta have fin rot for about a month now, I do 95% daily water changes and it still getting worse, here is the picture of before and after the finrot.

@Colin_T Is it possible that he nip his own fin?
70A14403-0EFF-45A9-9A63-E240F17A197A.jpeg
423F7BDB-423E-4467-86CA-54962A38C171.jpeg
D67CE3F7-42A4-42B0-B882-FF537DFB2864.jpeg

You will have to use anti-biotic like Kanaplex + Furan 2.
Salt can also be used but may not be effective for serious case like yours.

Last edited:
Have you checked the tank water and tap water for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH?

Have you checked the tank water and tap water for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH?
Yea; Ammonia0 , Nitrite, 0 Nitrate 5-13, pH 7.5, GH 3 KH 3.
Have been using salt and fungus clear med everyday for almost 2 weeks now.

He’s not eating pellets but prefer mosquitoes larvae.

Last edited:
fungus treatments don't do anything to fin rot.
if clean water and salt hasn't worked then you will probably need a medication to treat bacterial infections or anti-biotics

He’s getting better, Thanks everyone @Lajos_Detari @Colin_T
He is now really active!
Actually I have been doing 100% lately on his Qt tank
I just make the temperature and oxygen level the same as before I do 100% (for anyone who reading this, dont do 100% I just tested “old school” fish keeper stuff)
8017FEE2-DCD9-45A1-B597-7EC623EA51A1.jpeg

Last edited:
You can do complete water changes if needed. Just make sure the new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank, and make sure it has a similar water chemistry (pH, GH & KH) and temperature to the main tank.

Also don't catch the sick fish out. Use a small plastic container to scoop it out with some water, then wipe the inside of the tank with a clean sponge, drain and refill the tank, then put the fish back in.

Most reactions

trending

Back