Filtration Overkill?

mwood2

Fish Addict
Joined
Sep 24, 2008
Messages
749
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Vancouver WA (US)
So in my 30 gallon I currently am running high filtration on my 30 gallon but want to go even further but am not sure if it might be to much. Its an average 30 gallon and I have:

Fluval +2 (105 GPH)
Eclipse 3 Hood (250 GPH)

This means all my tanks water is cycled 11-12X per hour. The filtration seems fir right now but defently strong right now but I have all the currents facing the glass to prevent fish from flying. Now what I want to add is a Canister Filter. I want to have it run for a few months until my Girlfriend gets her goldfish tank set up and run it there so the tank doesnt need to cycle. My 30 gallon is already cycled and is slowly having it stock built up. The canister I am looking into is below:

http://www.jbjnanocubes.com/index1.html

i am looking into the EFU-35 Model. Now I would prefer EHIEM as my canister buuut I got an offer of a trade. I end up trading a DS Lite for a Canister Filter which I cant complain since me and my girlfriend don't use it much. Buut with this fiter my total GPS comes to:

605 GPH or 20X

Now would this be over kill? I also plan to slow the current somehow to prevent fish blasting. Lastly will the UV cause any problems in my tank?
 
I never believed in filter overkill , until now. Im sure you could add the filter, but WHY? Your water is bound to be incrediably clear. UNless your keeping an oscar, you don't need that much bio media. Its honestly a waste of money.
 
Well I had hoped to get another filter started or at least buy another since I plan to set up another tank in the near future. I figured why not get it running ahead of time. buuut I guess I can hold off.
 
A turnover rate of twenty times the volume of the tank would be overkill; many fish would find it very difficult to rest or even swim in such a strong current. Some fish, those species* from torrents in particular, would like such conditions, but there are very much the minority so far as the species traded widely go.

In general, you want 4-6 times the volume of the tank in turnover per hour for small community fish, 6-8 for medium sized community fish, and upwards of 10 times the volume of the tank for fish that inhabit strong water currents, such as Rift Valley cichlids and mountain stream fish.

Cheers, Neale

*Family Sisoridae catfish, family Balitoridae loaches, etc.
 
I have a small hang on back Aquaclear filter that I keep running on one of my tanks. The reason is in case I need to set up the hospital tank, or start a new one. Works well for me and you can just keep the current turned down low.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top