Filtration On A 46 Gallon Bow Front.

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

christylee

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Hi all! So I just recently bought a new 46 gallon bow front! I wish I could've gotten a 72 but I got this thing dirt cheap off craigslist, I couldn't resist!

Anyway, I have a few questions. What would be the best filtration for this size tank? I have a 20 gallon long that I'm going to be disassembling that currently has an Aquaclear 70 on it. I was looking at the Fluval 406 canister filter..but I'm just really not sure what is best.

Can I get away with the Aquaclear 70 for now? And later on what would be an ideal filter?

welcomeani.gif
 to TFF, christylee!
Am not familiar with the Aquaclear70 but on looking it up it says up to 70 US gallons so it should be ok in a 46G tank. Do you currently have fish in the one you are dissembling? If so, don't add more fish too quickly in the new tank as the bacteria level in the filter will be right for your current fish and will take time to respond to an increased bio-load.
Are you transferring fish or starting over?

Roughly 209L - the 406 is designed for up to 400L. I use one on my 260L to fantastic effect, I always think over filtering is better than under. The 406 also has great flow control and very easy to maintain so even if it's over filtering, you can turn the flow down so it's not blowing the fish out of the water the other side.

I haven't much experience with the Aquaclear range at all, I presume it's a hang on the back filtration system?
I think it might come down to personal opinion at the end of the day, also what fish you are stocking. A better filtration system will be needed, say for messier fish or if you intend to overstock slightly.

Overall I'd take a Fluval any day over 90% of any other filters on the market. But hey I am biased!

Mamashack said:
welcomeani.gif
 to TFF, christylee!
Am not familiar with the Aquaclear70 but on looking it up it says up to 70 US gallons so it should be ok in a 46G tank. Do you currently have fish in the one you are dissembling? If so, don't add more fish too quickly in the new tank as the bacteria level in the filter will be right for your current fish and will take time to respond to an increased bio-load.
Are you transferring fish or starting over?

Thanks! I'm starting fresh! I re-homed the fish that were in there to a friend of mine. I really want to try out a planted tank with a couple rams and some tetras. In the past I had a lot of success with plants in gravel substrate. I haven't had much luck with plants and sand substrate but I'm going to see how it works out with a layer of Eco-complete under the stand. I figure the tank will probably go through a bit of a recycling process. After I have all my plants planted and the tank up & running I'll test the water and see how everything goes before adding new fish :) I'll be posting pictures along the way haha.

Sophie said:
Roughly 209L - the 406 is designed for up to 400L. I use one on my 260L to fantastic effect, I always think over filtering is better than under. The 406 also has great flow control and very easy to maintain so even if it's over filtering, you can turn the flow down so it's not blowing the fish out of the water the other side.

I haven't much experience with the Aquaclear range at all, I presume it's a hang on the back filtration system?
I think it might come down to personal opinion at the end of the day, also what fish you are stocking. A better filtration system will be needed, say for messier fish or if you intend to overstock slightly.

Overall I'd take a Fluval any day over 90% of any other filters on the market. But hey I am biased!

Yes! The Aquaclear is a hang on the back filter. It works excellent in the 20 Long but I wasn't too sure if a canister is better for a larger tank or if it just doesn't matter. I only plan on stocking some rams with some tetras. I guess not so messy so I suppose it'll do for now.

Since your tank is larger and you're running a 406, maybe I'll step it down one and get the 306 when I have some extra cash flow :) Thanks for the input!!

What kind of tetras are you fancying, christylee?
Will you be doing fishless cycling? Most of us advocate it on here as being less stressful for the fish and less time consuming and less labour intensive.

Mamashack said:
What kind of tetras are you fancying, christylee?
Will you be doing fishless cycling? Most of us advocate it on here as being less stressful for the fish and less time consuming and less labour intensive.

Yep! I'm only going to have the plants in while the tank cycles. The fish will come later but when its time I would like to add bolivian rams in with cardinal tetras and black skirt tetras! I was considering nanus cories (or another type of cory) as well.

If I don't do the rams, they will be replaced with dwarf gouramis :)

Good luck with the Eco-complete and sand substrate. I don't have any but I have seen many references on here to cories preferring something they can nose into and investigate.
Are you going to keep a photo journal?

Most reactions

Back