Filtration for a 260L tank

Beesboer

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have recently bought a 260L tank and want to know if my UGF and sponge filter will provide enough filtration.
Will I maybe need to ad a corner filter / internal power filter?

Tanks

Filters do two main things:
  • Remove particulate to keep the water looking pretty and shiny
  • Provide a home for the beneficial bacteria that break down the ammonia and nitrite from fish waste.
If you have too much particulate for the filter to cope with it'll become clogged really quickly and you'll spend your life un-clogging it (I have a Fluval 2 as a backup in my 120 litre tank, so I speak from experience).

OTOH, provided your tank is properly cycled and has sufficient substrate (sand or gravel) and particularly if it's got live plants, the amount of beneficial bacteria in the filter is less significant. In a matured tank there's often far more bacteria in the substrate anyway!

Of course, this depends on the type of fish you're getting. If you're getting oscars or goldfish I'd say it definitely wasn't enough (and an UGF isn't much good either because the blighters would dig it up!). If you're getting mollies or tetras it's probably fine.

I think for mechanical filtration a corner filter would be a good idea, as a backup. I'd probably say an old Fluval 3 would be better (you can get them 2nd hand off Ebay), and a Fluval 4 better still. But for the long-term you really need something a bit more substantial, like an Eheim, to totally replace your UGF.

Good luck - I know how difficult it is on a budget but remember many of these gizmos are actually labour-saving rather than essential :)

A Emperor 400 would turn that tank over precisely as much as you need. :D

Sorry Alien Anna. You are probably more correct but I love that filter and have to throw that in there whenever possible. ;)

BTW, Alien Anna, can you give me a link to a fluval 4 please? I saw a question about that filter earlier but have never used it so would like to read up on it. :)

smb said:
A Emperor 400 would turn that tank over precisely as much as you need. :D

Sorry Alien Anna. You are probably more correct but I love that filter and have to throw that in there whenever possible. ;)

BTW, Alien Anna, can you give me a link to a fluval 4 please? I saw a question about that filter earlier but have never used it so would like to read up on it. :)
I have nothing against Emporer pumps - except I've never seen them for sale in UK!

The Fluval 4 is probably the most common internal filter in UK for slightly larger tanks and easy to get hold of. More importantly, it's easy to get hold of second hand, usually due to people upgrading to Eheim external pumps.

Here's a picture:

Fluval-Filter-foams.jpg

Fluval Internal Filter manual

Fluval specifications chart

Btw, any reviews of the Eheim internal pumps? Someone has some 2nd hand on Ebay. I'm currently looking for something to replace the Juwel column filter in my corner tank - the flippin' thing takes up about 2 cubic feet and is definitely over-kill for a planted tank. It also requires that I have the water level much lower than I'd like it.

I'm considering bidding on a variety of cheaper external pumps too - I've no idea if they're any good but the fact that people are selling them is probably not a great recommendation!

Thanks for the info Alien Anna. :)

I didn't know they didn't sell the Eperors in the UK. I wish they did so you guys could use them. I used to use Fluval and they are a good brand tho.

On the Eheim you mentioned on Ebay, I saw them at the lfs and wasn't particularly impressed. It, to me, seemed like just a water pump with some sponge? I've heard a couple people mention that the sponge would collapse on them?

They might work ok for mechanical filtration but I wouldn't go out of my way to buy them from what I've seen and heard so far.

JMO, so if anyone uses them please let us know, especially if I'm wrong.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back