Filtration for 80L tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

conorod

Reaction score
I have a 80L tank with neon tetra, bronze corys and amano shrimp. Currently the filter I have on it came from my previous (60L) tank and is a 300L/h filter. From what I've read online this is on the low end for this aquarium size and so I am thinking of getting the next model up which is 500L/h. My question is, will this flow rate be OK for neon tetra and amano shrimp? I assume the tetra will be fine but this is my first time keeping amano shrimp and I'm not sure how strong a current they can handle.
Also is there anything in particular I should be aware of when replacing the filter with a new one (e.g. should I add something like Tetra SafeStart to introduce bacteria to the new filter, etc.)?

I would just stay with what you have already. Neons, Cories and shrimp are not going to add a lot of bioload to a filter and a 60 vs 80 litre tank has virtually no difference.

If your filter clogs up over a week or two and needs cleaning every week, then get a bigger filter, but I would save my money and not bother upgrading the filter.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back