Filter Suggestions

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

PygmyMitch

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Iā€™m considering changing my internal filter. Iā€™ve tried the Interpret CF filter. I really liked this filter as the filter can be easily lifted out if needed and the sponges can easily be removed without removing the filter. Only problem I had was that the bracket for the filter kept falling off the back of the glass.

Then I tried the Fluval U1 filter but there isnā€™t much space for sponges and media and also, I sadly lost a fish as it got stuck in the cable way on the back.

Can anyone suggest any other filters that may be better ?

Also whats everyones rule of thumb for the L/ph rate ? as I have read different answers online. thanks

whats everyones rule of thumb for the L/ph rate
That depends on the fish. Fast swimming fish which dash around like a fast water flow. Others which potter slowly round the tank need a gentle water flow.

I like Eheim Aquaballs and Biopowers. The Aquaballs have just sponges as their media. And they have replaceable suckers for when they won't stick to the glass any longer.

Well I have neon tetras which arenā€™t very active, and I have dwarf corys which can be quite active at times. my tank is 48 litres.

Does the aquaball filter have to be removed from the tank to access the sponges ?

The usual formula is five times the tank volume per hour. But that rating is usually for an empty fil;ter. I tend to go with ten times per hour minimum.

the problem with internal filters is their size and how little media they hold. I use large sponge filters for tanks that are to be stocked (lightly) with slow water fish. A sponge filter powerhead combo can work if you only have one tank and a little DIY ability.

The usual formula is five times the tank volume per hour. But that rating is usually for an empty fil;ter. I tend to go with ten times per hour minimum.

the problem with internal filters is their size and how little media they hold. I use large sponge filters for tanks that are to be stocked (lightly) with slow water fish. A sponge filter powerhead combo can work if you only have one tank and a little DIY ability.

Yeah every where I have read has been between 5 and 10. Yeah agreed internal filters donā€™t have much space inside. I have once tried a sponge filter, but with the tank being in my bedroom and the pump being external to the tank, the noise of the pump wasnā€™t the best on a night time. Have you got any good recommendations for the powerhead combo ? assuming they dont have an external pump ?

Iā€™m considering changing my internal filter. Iā€™ve tried the Interpret CF filter. I really liked this filter as the filter can be easily lifted out if needed and the sponges can easily be removed without removing the filter. Only problem I had was that the bracket for the filter kept falling off the back of the glass.

Then I tried the Fluval U1 filter but there isnā€™t much space for sponges and media and also, I sadly lost a fish as it got stuck in the cable way on the back.

Can anyone suggest any other filters that may be better ?

Also whats everyones rule of thumb for the L/ph rate ? as I have read different answers online. thanks
Hello sam. Actually, if you just change out half the tank water every few days, you won't need much more than a standard sponge filter. I like Maxxclean brand sponge filters. AquaMiracle has a very good air pump to run the sponge. Anyway, if you change the tank water often enough, the filter is just filtering water that's already clean.

10 Tanks

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back