Filter Question?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

rpgmomma8404

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I bought a 15 gallon tank with a bunch of supplies that came with it from someone. The thing is these people knew less then I did about fish keeping and were using a 10 gallon filter for a 15 gallon tank. I'm sure it could work if you don't over stock the tank or have messy fish but I'm just wondering if it would be better with a 20 gallon filter. Then I was thinking about putting both ten gallon filters on the 15 gallon and putting a 20 gallon filter on my 10 gallon. I'm not sure if that would be too much for the 10 gallon though. I'm having issues getting the 10 gallon cycled currently so I wouldn't really want to mess that up but just trying to figure out this filter problem. Any advice would be great. 

in general the bigger filter the better, certainly for the more media in it, the only issue that can occur is that the flowrate is also increased so the fishes have more of a current to swim against - whether this is a problem would depend on the type of fishes you have - some would prefer it.

with some filters you can turn the flow down a bit, and if it is an external one you could just add a valve to the output to again turn down the flow and therefore remove any issues completely.

Ah, okay. Awesome. I was wondering about it being too strong for a 10 gallon. Yeah, the filter I currently have in the ten gallon tank says in the directions that you can control the water flow but there is nothing on this filter that does it. I don't know why it would even have it in directions. It's a top fin, maybe it is talking about other filters, no idea. Thanks that is really helpful. 

What exactly are the ratings of the filters as in gallons per hour and exact model, name of the filter?
Even a 20G filter may not be enough on a 10G, hence why it's better to talk in proper numbers. The manufacturers ratings are way off what in reality the filters can achieve.

The point is, the more filtration, the better. Flow with fish can only be an issue when you surpass 10 times the flow per hour, and maybe more unless the tank is really small and box shaped where the flow is concentrated.  For example for your 10G, a 100G/H rated filter or over. If I can have shrimp in tanks with such flow totally not bothered, then I don't see why a fish would be.

It's a top fin ten gallon filter with a 80 GPH rate. It's not a bad filter other then it noisy as sin sometimes. I also have a Tetra Whisper PF 10 that is not running yet. I bought it used and the people must of threw away the media so I have to wait until I can buy a new one. I think that one has a 90 GPH rate, at least that what I read when I looked it up since I don't have the box. The Tetra is suppose to be for a 15 gallon. Not sure if that is even going to be okay. So, I figured buying a 20 gallon filter and putting it on the 10 gallon tank then having the two ten gallons on the 15 gallon.

Yes, the most filtration/bigger filtration you can afford is the best approach and you'll never regret it.  I like multiple filters at the same time so I never need to rely on one failing, or me overcleaning it and causing a spike.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back