Filter Question

erk628

Fish Herder
Joined
Nov 17, 2006
Messages
1,232
Reaction score
0
Points
36
Location
Lima Ohio USA
I have a filter on my ten gallon which had 6 neon tetras in it. Yesterday the tank broke out in a bad case of ich. Five of the fish died yesterday and the last one died over the night. Now my question is I'd like to put the filter back on one of my thirty's just to keep it mature but don't want to carry the parasites from that tank to the other. What should I do?
 
Hi erk628 :)

Just to be on the safe side, I would clean the whole tank out while it was without fish.

You can always hang your filter (with new filter material) in the old tank for a few weeks to gather some bacteria. Then when you set up the 10 again you can move it back and add a few fish immediately. In another week or two you can add a few more. The bacteria in your bigger tank will reproduce quickly and all will be fine.
 
Hi erk628 :)

Just to be on the safe side, I would clean the whole tank out while it was without fish.

You can always hang your filter (with new filter material) in the old tank for a few weeks to gather some bacteria. Then when you set up the 10 again you can move it back and add a few fish immediately. In another week or two you can add a few more. The bacteria in your bigger tank will reproduce quickly and all will be fine.

So should I just throw the filter media away like filter pad. Or should I just wash it out in hot tap water. Or should I let it sat for a few days out of water to make sure the parasites are dead. I have a new fish store opening up the day after Thanksgiving and wouldn't mine getting something for the 10 gallon. In saying that if I have to cycle the filter again I would like to get it started ASAP. I just don't want to take any risk and have my Green Terror get ich because I made a stupid mistake. I know if I wash it under hot tap water it will kill the bacteria but not sure about the parasite. Also buying a new filter pad wouldn't be an issue if thats what is needed it would probably be the safest way.

Thanks for your reply
 
Another question I just thought of there are a few live plants in there, what should I do with those? I don't want to move them to another tank and have the parasite carried with it. If need be I'll just throw them away, theres not many.
 
pour boiling water on the filter pads, and then get it in in the other tank to cycle them


You can clean plants with some type of solution - not sure what it is - check the plants section for quarantine information
 
You can clean plants with some type of solution - not sure what it is - check the plants section for quarantine information


I've heard of people using a bleach solution and have heard of using potassium permanganate. I'm not sure the procedure or solution strength for either however.
 
You can clean plants with some type of solution - not sure what it is - check the plants section for quarantine information


I've heard of people using a bleach solution and have heard of using potassium permanganate. I'm not sure the procedure or solution strength for either however.

Thanks for the replies! I think I'm just going to play it on the safe side and throw the plants out and throw the filter pad out also. I'll buy a new filter pad tonight clean everything real good and stick in another tank to start its cycle. Thanks again for your advise I've only got two cheap plants a couple weeks old so I'd rather pitch them then take a chance harming my fish.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top