Filter question

SpEeDhOrN

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
is an external power filter better than a bio filter ????? what filters are top of the range and what would you recommend ??? let me know :)

I am not sure what your talking about by biofilter. If you are talking about an undergravel filter than yes the power filter is much better. A biofilter is simply a medium for beneficial bacteria to grow on. The good bacteria has to have oxygen and an undergravel filter allows oxygen to flow through the gravel so tons of good bacteria can grow there. But an undergravel filter doesn't filter out large particles like fish poo and left over food. A power filter filters out large particles and also can have the beneficial bacteria grow on it as a biofilter. So I would definately go with an external power filter.

IMO the external power filter is the best, cause it does all 3 kinds of filtration & you can hide it under the tank. I use a UGF & an internal power filter. It depends what you are going to do with the tank & what you can afford.

If you can afford the best of the best, you can get a trickle filter like the ones used at the stores. They are the best of the best!

The bio-filter is all of the media in the filters, even the mechanical media can support a very healthy bacteria colony. Every filter type has its advantages, you need to decide what's best for you.
Personally, I like canisters and I stick to them - despite what some think they are excellent at all three forms of filtration - they are also silent to operate, easy to use, and extremely versatile.

I have an Eheim Ecco canister filter. I don't care much for the Ecco model but would not hesitate to try an older design or the new professional II models.
The flow rate on the ecco seems a bit slow and if I don't clean it out every three or four weeks the flow rate really drops off. Also the hoses are a pain to clean out.
The filter is on a 75 gallon tank that only contains 15 or so small fish.
The great thing about canister filters is that you have many more options for filter media. The bad thing is it takes more time to clean and change the media than a hang on the back style filter. Another great aspect of canister filters, at least for the eheim, is that they are silent.
The hang on the back style filters with the bio wheels work great IMO. But, you don't have as many options when it comes to media. They are also louder, but that is not a big deal to most people.
I do not always use carbon to filter my water. When I do I have to unplug the canister filter and take it apart to put the carbon in. Kind of a pain compared to putting carbon in a hang on the back filter.
Bottom line, both types of filters work great in most applications. Both can provide chemical, mechanical and biological filtration. IMO it all comes down to personal preferance and what works best for you. Keeping fish is almost as much an art as it is a science. Bigalls.online has the lowest filter prices I've found.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back