Filter Qs

21rm

Fish Crazy
Joined
Nov 20, 2008
Messages
268
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Ireland
Ive a couple of questions about them filters in tanks.
When the time comes, i.e. when the filter starts to clog up, i always remove the sponges and rinse them in water.
however, i seen ppl on this site say that that shouldnt be done, that the filter shouldn't be cleaned like that.

I got the impression from the topics I read that the filters bacteria will biologically clean itself, and that i should be doing water changes instead, which I normally do, about 20% each week.
 
Ive a couple of questions about them filters in tanks.
When the time comes, i.e. when the filter starts to clog up, i always remove the sponges and rinse them in water.
however, i seen ppl on this site say that that shouldnt be done, that the filter shouldn't be cleaned like that.

I got the impression from the topics I read that the filters bacteria will biologically clean itself, and that i should be doing water changes instead, which I normally do, about 20% each week.

If you leave the filter medium it will clog up with rubbish and no matter how much bacteria you have it wont clean the filter. Your best bet is to clean the medium in tank water and not tap water, this will not kill the bacteria like tap water will with all the chemicals in it.

Water changes are important too to keep the balance and clarity of the water good
 
thanks for that, i was quiet confused by what id been reading and what id felt i needed to do :D
 
Aye, take a bucket of water from the tank and wash the sponges in that.

Don't wash out more than 50% of the total media at a time and only rince at all when there is a drop in flowrate (or the flow of water is "missing" the sponges because they are too clogged).


As for water changes, 20% per week sounds like the least you should be doing - but it depends on the stock you have in your tank - care to elaborate on that one, and I'm sure someone will advise.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top