Filter media

Ferris

Do ya feel lucky punk?
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
Just want to get peoples opinions on whether running carbon filter media permanently is worthwhile or not. From my own point of view, I currently have 2 tanks, 1 20G community tank and 1 55G Malawi tank. Neither tank has real plants in so the only consideration is the fish.

Let me know what you think.

I only use carbon in the filters of any of my tanks if i have recently treated the tank with medication. Running carbon in the filter full time is a unessesary expence since for it to be effective you need to change it every month and it doesnt do much anyway since the majority of the filtration is taken care of mechanically and biologically.

My understanding that they need to replaced often or they start leeching whatever they took out of the water back into the tank....so m,edications will be readded back to the tank possible giving you double or triple doses if you are still treating....

Just a thought

I use it the same way as cfc does. only after medicating.
It removes finer paticles of dirt in the water but so does the cheaper water polisher media.

Yup, same here. I still saved every carbon that came with my filters, unused so far. One day, I'll find a use for it, but so far, no need... ;)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back