Filter media and Beneficial bacteria myth

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Ah...but good filtration, including bio-filtration is not about how much or how fast we push water through media. In spite of what many hobbyists have been told, a slower flow through bio-media is more effective.
Many of the commercial bio-medias 'claim to fame' is their porosity or micro-pores. Unfortunately these often plug quickly with a coating of detritus, making them less effective. Most hobbyists continue to use the same old soiled media even though the surface area (relative to pores) is compromised...it still 'works' because it still has a solid surface, but then even gravel would work in a filter. :)

It would work but as mentioned above, it wouldn't be any better than gravel or sand. The most effective bio-filtration happens when water somewhat slowly and constantly flows over and/or through media.
Again, regardless of marketing genius hype, commercial bio-medias are an overrated cash cow for manufacturers. And in the established aquarium (6+ months) it serves little/no real purpose! (See The Very Best Aquarium Filter) :)
Ah...but good filtration, including bio-filtration is not about how much or how fast we push water through media. In spite of what many hobbyists have been told, a slower flow through bio-media is more effective.
Many of the commercial bio-medias 'claim to fame' is their porosity or micro-pores. Unfortunately these often plug quickly with a coating of detritus, making them less effective. Most hobbyists continue to use the same old soiled media even though the surface area (relative to pores) is compromised...it still 'works' because it still has a solid surface, but then even gravel would work in a filter. :)

It would work but as mentioned above, it wouldn't be any better than gravel or sand. The most effective bio-filtration happens when water somewhat slowly and constantly flows over and/or through media.
Again, regardless of marketing genius hype, commercial bio-medias are an overrated cash cow for manufacturers. And in the established aquarium (6+ months) it serves little/no real purpose! (See The Very Best Aquarium Filter) :)
And that’s exactly where I was aiming,Gravel is media,only in smaller pieces.mechanical filtration aside,could we do away with filters if we have water pushing over the substrate?

And that’s exactly where I was aiming,Gravel is media,only in smaller pieces.mechanical filtration aside,could we do away with filters if we have water pushing over the substrate?
Not if you want mechanical filtration...

Yes mechanical filtration of course.my last tank was 200l and had a HOB with two little cartridges of media and two thin sponges and it done a great job,as long as I squeezed out the sponges once a week.
I now have a 400l tank which therefore should be ok with a HOB,as long as I cleaned the sponges enough,and a power head pushing the water flow over the substrate.
Maybe This is going over my head haha

As @Slaphppy7 points out you probably want some mechanical filtration but you likely don't need a lot ... and a lot less than some hobbyists are convinced. Consider the many large fishrooms with only air driven sponge filters. Sponge filters are great at biological filtration*, but not so much for mechanical. But you do want crystal clear water and water circulation so a [small] filter will serve the purpose. (* an exception would be my HOB and canister filters filled with sponge where coarse sponge does mechanical while somewhat finer sponge serves as the biological platform.)

I once saw a photo on a FB forum of a 55g tank with 3 large canister filters underneath. When I suggested to the OP that perhaps he was over filtering, he got hostile and proclaimed that he was right because "there's no such thing as too much filtration!" But there is as it can be bad for the livestock and surely can be bad for the wallet!!! :)

And once again, although there's a huge beneficial biology colony(ies) in the tank, especially the substrate, the very best bio-filtration happens when water passes over 'n through media. Now having said (err written) that, one can make the case that with lots of plants and a modest bio-load very little nitrogen cycle from ammonia to nitrates is necessary or required.
<above>

I have no sick fishes for about 4-6 months ever since I ruled out all sponge and floss and filled all canister filters to the top with small grain scoria and pumice.

I can also assure that high flow of canister filter (x10 flowrate) doesn’t affects my discus at all since the outlet pipe is aiming at the surface of the water. I still think overfiltration is the best.

Also I just downloaded the stone scanner app and used a picture of Seachem Matrix….this thing is really just overpriced pumice isn’t it :/, here you can buy a 10 kg bag of pumice for only about $8…. @AbbeysDad

64A20CCE-AD32-4763-89F3-F8C2CC2F7459.png

Last edited:
People who put videos on YouTube are not necessarily very knowledgeable and everything they say should be treated with skepticism until you have researched it yourself.
Yes! So many are trying to sell various products. Same for online written content. I’ve seen several that can’t write two sentences without a product link. 😹😹😹😹

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back