Filter Flow Direction Questions

JSmails

Fish Fanatic
Joined
Jul 31, 2006
Messages
185
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Hi guys, just cycling my tank with sand as the substrate. I have an external filter set up on the left back side of my 260l and the original jewel filter on the right. 2 questions:

1. How can I achieve the best flow with 2 filter sprays going, which direction roughly should I point them in and is this important?

2. My spray bar currently is submerged, is this a problem?

Many thanks in advance.
 
It is not a problem having a submerged spray bar. All of mine are submerged several inches. What I try to do when setting up a filter is visualize the flow pattern that I am creating by thinking of what way the returning water is moving and where it would need to turn to get back to the filter inlet. In the case of more than one filter, think about where the water will go before it gets to any filter inlet. The pattern you want is one that disturbs the water surface without making a lot of noise and where the water circulates to every spot in the tank. If you can even come close to that set up, the tank's filters will do a great job for you.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top