Filter Death

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Binge

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
So a power outage seems to have killed my fluval c4 filter. I was curious if there is any way to fix this or if I should just grab a new filter?

I'm sure you've done it already, but you have checked the fuse haven't you?

I wouldn't try fixing it, it could do some harm with you trying to fix it.

So a power outage seems to have killed my fluval c4 filter. I was curious if there is any way to fix this or if I should just grab a new filter?

its, possible and safe to try and fix it.
even the filter motor can be safely swapped out.

I assume the filter, just, stopped?
if so, the Hagen part number you need is A16000 (the motor).

however, before going out and getting it. check the impeller and shaft are in good condition.
a broken shaft can, sometimes, stop the motor. (though more usually, it just makes a heck of a noise.)

Many members on here are able to fix their own equipment, its cheaper, and in a hobby that can cost a fortune, thats no bad thing.

Any luck with it yet? Lots of fluvals have "Issues" after being turned off. My U2 certainly does, and its a known common fault. Try unplugging and plugging back in, sometimes it will just jump back to life.

Many members on here are able to fix their own equipment, its cheaper, and in a hobby that can cost a fortune, thats no bad thing.

Any luck with it yet? Lots of fluvals have "Issues" after being turned off. My U2 certainly does, and its a known common fault. Try unplugging and plugging back in, sometimes it will just jump back to life.

lol, i guess this is more a problem with wording.

nobody, i know, actually "fixes" faulty parts (ok so i have known people glue impellers back together). because, virtually, all filters are build by module.
so its a simple case of finding the faulty part. and replacing it.
in the case of this filter. the motor is used in many different systems. and simple clips on and off.
same goes for the impeller and shaft.

My Fluval U3 did this after a powercut too, i took the impeller out then put it back in and all worked. :blink:

Thanks for the responses guys I have not taken it apart yet but will do so this weekend and see what I can do.(also cut the hell outta my finger an hour ago and dont relish sticking it in a bacteria filled tank) I am also going to be swapping out my ciclids for another filter from my LFS as they are going insane and I dont wanna loose anymore. So if I can fix this one I will have an extra 75 gallon capable filter and will hafto start watching curbs in the area for glass to match it hmmmmm.

Oh and as for the fuse unless there ism one in the filter(never disassembled one) then it cannot be that as all other tank equipment is on the same powerstrip.

Yeah it probably just needs some tinkering. Leaving it till the weekend though and your looking at having a pretty much uncycled tank again. Your gonna loose a lot of bacteria if you let that canister sit that long. They will eat up a lot of the O2 in their pretty fast.

As far as fixings/repairing equipment is it quite easy. I've taken apart filters, light, and heaters to fix or replace something. Things can certainly be fixed depending what the issue is. Often cleaning or doing simple maintenance can bring them back. It should be pretty obvious if the motor is dead or not when you plug it in. Normally its just the impeller that gets stuck if it isn't cleaned regularly. Sometimes very rapid unpluging and plugging in can dislodge a stuck impeller if you don't want to open the filter up. I do this a lot with my internals, but its not good for the motor.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back