Filter Broke: My Fish Will Die. NEED A GOOD FILTER ASAP.

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

You prime it by pouring water down the spout on the intake, then push a lever down that opens the tubes input and output, it fills up and causes a siphon that pulls water into the filter, fills it up, then you plug it in and it pumps water out. For some reason after I would fill it up it wouldn't push water out and wouldn't cycle. I heard the impeller moving. This is the common problem, the fact that it won't output the watder

I had a Rena Filstar XP3, running for seven years without issues. I sold it this past Spring when I also sold the 115g tank (the tank was 20+ years, and I wanted a couple of smaller tanks for my purposes). The Rena was tricky to get going initially. When I cleaned it, if I left the tubing in place (water remaining in it obviously) it was fine, but when that too was cleaned it took priming again.

I remember discussing the Rena and Eheim with a store owner/hobbyist a while back, and he made the observation that Rena is a decent filter (it does the job well), but it is still relatively new on the market and it doesn't have the track record of Eheim. I have two Eheim canisters that have been running continuously since 1995 and 1997 respectively, with never an issue. Yes, Eheim are more expensive; but if they last for 20-30 years, is it not better value? This was my friend's point about Rena. If I had kept it, would it give me another 13 years of good service? Perhaps not...but then it was less expensive. Everything's relative.

Cooledwhip, the sound you describe sounds like air...this has to be got out, and with the Rena it was not easy; my Eheims can do the same, but they are easier to get going. Always fill the canister with water, completely, before trying to get it running (don't know if this was part of your problem or not).

You should not stock a tank to the point that you cannot manage without the filter. Power outages can occur, and breakdowns. Another suggestion, is to keep a dual sponge filter on hand; this can easily filter a 50g if necessary.

Byron.

Yeah I assume it's air bubbles. There are so many problems with the rena, half of the people who own it say it works and half say it doesn't work. My problem is it doesn't pump water out. I know what it is, there is air stuck in there and it's the reason the water can't completely contact the impeller which pumps it up and pulls it in the filter. I have fixed the problem before by opening it up while it's pumping and letting some water squirt out which expells the air, re priming it, etc, sometimes it works sometimes it doesnt. This time it just didn't work so I am buying a new one. I'm just worried that the fish will die. I'll use as much of the old filter sponges and bacteria as I can.

I'm really cautious about a new canister filter because I don't want it to leak anywhere. I'm checking reviews everywhere and I want to make sure this canister filter is a good choice. I'm sure there is a technique to get the rena to work and maybe in the future I will use it on a different tank but for now I just need a 100% working filter that will always be there for me to use, working and all. I can't rely on hope for my filter to work half the time. Is it worth it to buy a nice eheim or anything? I have a 2217 but I need new parts on it plus I'd rather get the 406 which is much bigger. Anyone else had a 406? How long have you had it for?

Not knowing what fish are in the 50g tank, it is difficult for us to recommend a filter. So I will cut to the chase and say that Eheim has the track record and is without question the most reliable filter in the hobby, all else being equal. When I bought my Rena 8 years ago, I read every review I could find online and the consensus was Eheim first, Rena second, Fluval third, in terms of reliability. In spite of my long-standing Eheims, at that time I had no local dealers and when I buy equipment like lighting, filters and heaters, I prefer buying locally so if there is any issue, I can deal locally with their warranty. Shipping a filter across the continent can cost nearly as much as a new filter. That is why I got the Rena. Given the choice, I would stay with Eheim. Twenty years of continuous trouble-free service is not to be sneezed at.

Not knowing what fish are in the 50g tank, it is difficult for us to recommend a filter. So I will cut to the chase and say that Eheim has the track record and is without question the most reliable filter in the hobby, all else being equal. When I bought my Rena 8 years ago, I read every review I could find online and the consensus was Eheim first, Rena second, Fluval third, in terms of reliability. In spite of my long-standing Eheims, at that time I had no local dealers and when I buy equipment like lighting, filters and heaters, I prefer buying locally so if there is any issue, I can deal locally with their warranty. Shipping a filter across the continent can cost nearly as much as a new filter. That is why I got the Rena. Given the choice, I would stay with Eheim. Twenty years of continuous trouble-free service is not to be sneezed at.

As nice quality as Eheim's are. (I am convinced) I am going to save my eheim 2217 for my future personal tank. I went out and bought a fluval 406 today which is fine. Nice quality really. I have the older 304 and it isn't the best but this new fluval is just amazing. You should look at one or set one up if you have the money. really a truley sturdy and nice filter. I just posted a question about some weird bubbles coming out of mine but other than that it is a good filter.

Try to check out the question if you could please. thanks.

Most reactions

Back