Filter/ Bacteria Survival Question

TheChards

Fish Fanatic
Joined
Oct 28, 2008
Messages
88
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Reading, UK
Hi all,

Can anyone please tell me how long a filter will typically remain cycled for if removed from the water and left dry? In other words, how long will it take for the bacteria to die off if left out of water?

Thanks,
Dan
 
Hi,

Filter media left in water but starved of ammonia will see a very slow die off rate, around 3 - 12% per day.

Media left out of water I'm afraid is a different story, and will experience quite rapid die back. I'd say a few hours most, and all the bacteria will definitely be dead by the time the media becomes dry.

Hope that helps. :good:

BTT
 
Hey thanks for the quick reply.

The reason I ask is that I was recently given a friend's 120-litre fish tank along with an Angel fish and two catfish that it had been home to. So after putting the fish in some bags, emptying the water, removing most of the gravel, loading it into the car, driving home, getting the tank set up and full of fresh gravel and water again about two hours had passed before the filter was back in the water and running again. The fish seem fine (since Saturday evening when we moved it) but I haven't tested the water yet and I'm a bit concerned about whether it's still going to be cycled...
 

Most reactions

Back
Top