Filter And Water Turnover Help Please

JSmails

Fish Fanatic
Joined
Jul 31, 2006
Messages
185
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Im after some filter / water turnover advice:

Ive got a Tetratec Ex1200 but cant find the instruction manual anywhere! :angry: Its running in conjunction with an internal filter on the Jewel Vison260.

2 Questions please:

1. What is my turnover rate on full power?

2. When I alter the water flow on the external, do the input and output both need to be turned to the same position?
 
2. When I alter the water flow on the external, do the input and output both need to be turned to the same position?

It doesn't matter too much but i have them pointing the same way then the water flow is in one direction, you get better circulation that way.


TetraTec Ex1200 user manual (PDF format):
<a href="https://www.tetra-service.net/tetra/go/D342...estellnr=145559" target="_blank">https://www.tetra-service.net/tetra/go/D342...estellnr=145559</a>

click on the pdf icon on the right


Thanks for the link, Ive worked out my rate to be x8. however I was probably a bit vague with my second question. What I mean is on my external filter if Im reducing the rate of flow, there are two switches, one for the in pipe and one for the out pipe. Do they need to be at the same level all the time?
 
Thanks for the link, Ive worked out my rate to be x8. however I was probably a bit vague with my second question. What I mean is on my external filter if Im reducing the rate of flow, there are two switches, one for the in pipe and one for the out pipe. Do they need to be at the same level all the time?

not sure mate, never used a tetratec ex. If they have to be at the same level then surely it must say that in the manual.
 
It's the same as any filter. Output port only should be used to reduce the flow. Using the inlet port puts negative pressure on the motor, leading to abnormal wear and premature failure of any moving parts in the filter :sad: So, to conclude, outlet tap only for turning down the flow :good:

All the best
Rabbut
 
It's the same as any filter. Output port only should be used to reduce the flow. Using the inlet port puts negative pressure on the motor, leading to abnormal wear and premature failure of any moving parts in the filter :sad: So, to conclude, outlet tap only for turning down the flow :good:

All the best
Rabbut

Cheers Rabbut as always :good: When Ive been feeding Ive been turning both down down to the bottom :crazy: to stop the flow entirely. I wont be doing that again. Outlet tap only for me now!
 
It's the same as any filter. Output port only should be used to reduce the flow. Using the inlet port puts negative pressure on the motor, leading to abnormal wear and premature failure of any moving parts in the filter :sad: So, to conclude, outlet tap only for turning down the flow :good:

All the best
Rabbut

Whilst I agree with the majority of the above the only thing I would add is that not all filters have two taps so its not possible to turn down the output only. That said though I have noticed on mine (Eheim Pro 3 2073) that if I turn it down the motor slows aswell.

To work out you rough turnover you need to add the two manufactures specs of Litres Per Hour (LPH) I think the Tetratec is 1200LPH then divide the total by the litres in your tank e.g 1200 divided by 125 = 9.6 this is only the manufactures spec though which is mostly taken without media in the filter so it will normally be less but it gives you a rough guide.

Mike
 
I think Tetratec rate it with the supplied media installed and 1ft of hose on each inlet and outlet, so you are still going to loose flow on that with any sencible length of hose, but it's better than most manufacturers...

I'd say if you only have one tap, leave the filter on full and look at otherways of reducing current in the tank... This is if you like reliability from your filters ;)

All the best
Rabbut
 
I think Tetratec rate it with the supplied media installed and 1ft of hose on each inlet and outlet, so you are still going to loose flow on that with any sencible length of hose, but it's better than most manufacturers...

I'd say if you only have one tap, leave the filter on full and look at otherways of reducing current in the tank... This is if you like reliability from your filters ;)

All the best
Rabbut

I always keep mine on full anyway, just re-angle the spraybar/outlet as required.

Mike
 
Another thing to remember is although the manual says the tunrover is 1200lph, it's actually a lot less as 1200 is worked out without any media in the filter, so the rate will be a lot less than you think.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top