Filter Advise Please

Gilli

Gilli
Joined
Mar 4, 2008
Messages
1,904
Reaction score
1
Points
0
Location
England
OK so a panick on my part where I thought one of my fish was sick thankfully turned out to be nothing, but the good thing was it made me go out and by a small tank,filter, heater, temperature gague and a few plastic plants for a quarantine tank.

My main tank has an undergravel filter so I know nothing about other kinds. I have purchased a Stingray underwater filter and have it running in my main tank ready for an emergency. My questions are will it take 6 weeks before it can be used (as I know my tank took around 6 weeks to cycle). How will i know when its ready?

Also reading the instructions it has 2 sponges in it and 2 carbon filters which it says I should replace one sponge and one carbon filter once a month - is this recommended?

How often should I clean the filter? I know I have to rinse the sponges out in tank water only but what about the actual filter - the same?

when I return the filter to the main tank again do I need to do anything before hand as I know I have to disinfect the quarrantine tank, heater, plants etc?
 
Regarding the carbon: You really don't need it and shouldn't use it, it is best replaced with biological media, as, carbon is only necessary when you really need to remove something. How often should you clean the filter? Every 2-3 weeks, rinse one sponge (alternate sponges each cleaning) and rinse in tank water. Just be sure the water is not in the tank.
 
Thank you for your reply, however I still need an answer tot he following questions:-

How will I know when the filter is ready - will it take 6 weeks like cycling before the bacteria is in there?

Also reading the instructions it has 2 sponges in it and 2 carbon filters which it says I should replace one sponge and one carbon filter once a month - is this recommended?

How do I clean the actual filter - do I just rinse in removed tank water as the sponges or do I need to scrub it under the tap?

When I return the filter to the main tank again do I need to do anything before hand as I know I have to disinfect the quarrantine tank, heater, plants etc?
 
carbon take all the meds out ,so put some other filter media in its place
 
Rinse in removed tank water, don't use the carbon to bgin with, juist use some sort of biological media instead, and when replacing a sponge, only one at a time, and alternate.
 
thank you to everyone who has replied - it is appreciated!

I did take the carbon blocks out already. Still havn't had answers to the following questions through:-

How will I know when the spare filter is ready for use in the quarantine tank - will it take 6 weeks like cycling before the bacteria is in there?

How do I clean the actual filter box - do I just rinse in removed tank water as the sponges or do I need to scrub it under the tap?

When I return the filter to the main tank again after using it in the quarantine tank do I need to do anything before hand as I know I have to disinfect the quarrantine tank, heater, plants etc?
 
It should be ready once it's mostly full of gunk. You can clean the filter box the same way you clean the sponges, old tank water.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top