Fighting Three Spot Gouramis

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

gwharton

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have a pair of what I believe to be female three spot gouramis. I had them in my 120L tank along with a few randoms and my Red Finned Shark.

Both Gouramis were bought together but one has grown larger than the other and is dominant over the other. Everything seemed to be fine, as my Red Finned Shark would keep the dominant Gourami in check, the dominant gourami would keep the smaller in check, and so on. Things were peaceful.

I added a couple of Mollies to the tank and this sent the dominant gourami mad. I dont think the Mollies would have survived if I hadnt intervened. One alsmost buried itself in the substrate to hide.

So, I moved the two Gouramis to a 40L quarantine tank I have just to give me some time and to allow the mollies to settle in with a view to reinstating the Gourami's as new fish to an existing tank after a week of being apart. Peace was restored in my main tank.

Not so good in the 40L tank as the dominant gourami attacked the smaller giving it a good kicking. I have since transferred the dominant gourami back to the main tank where he now seems to tolerate the Mollies, but i've left the smaller gourami in the 40L for now to give it some space.

Heres the bully.

PXL_20220316_154905318.jpg

And heres her victim.

PXL_20220316_154841393.MP.jpg

I know three spot gouramis are on the agressive side, but I was hoping I could get two females to get along.

Can anyone confirm these are females? The smaller one had the exact same fin shape as the larger one before it got nipped.

This was one of those purchases without research. Wishing I had gone for pearls now.

First, this species, Trichopodus trichopterus (the species of the varieties blue, gold, marble, 3-spot, opaline, cosby) is one of the most aggressive of the small and medium sized species of gourami. Males like all gourami males are territorial, and often as determined as cichlids in defending their space, but females have frequently been known t5o literally kill every fish in the tank.

The dorsal and anal fin of the fish in the top photo seem to be pointed, suggesting this is a male. The fins on the lower photo fish are so far gone I can't tell. You have one option and only one...remove these fish. Once a naturally-aggressive fish becomes aggressive to the degree shown here it is not going to learn better manners.

A year or so back we had a member with a female gold gourami (same species as I mentioned above) that literally killed every other fish in the tank, and finally was isolated in a 10g tank. This is not at all uncommon with this species.

Yeah, not one of my better purchases. Even more so if I managed to get two males. They seemed to be kept in check by the presence of the red finned shark, but went crazy when put into a separate tank without a headmaster.

Here is a video showing the dominant ones fins a little better

I would not insist on the fish being male, but it doesn't matter; an aggressive fish whatever the gender is the same problem.

BTW, the "shark" is another powder keg waiting to explode. It is in the genes of the species, even though we can never predict how this may play out.

Yes, I inherited the shark and have read up on possible issues there too. The shark is about 4 years old and 6 inches long. The gouramis are young and still growing. At the moment the shark is acting as an overseer of aggression in the tank, but I am constantly on the lookout for behaviour change with her too. As soon as the dominant gourami has a flash or a peck, the shark does a rapid lap of the tank, the gourami goes back to its business and the shark goes back to scouring the bottom.

Yes, I inherited the shark and have read up on possible issues there too. The shark is about 4 years old and 6 inches long. The gouramis are young and still growing. At the moment the shark is acting as an overseer of aggression in the tank, but I am constantly on the lookout for behaviour change with her too. As soon as the dominant gourami has a flash or a peck, the shark does a rapid lap of the tank, the gourami goes back to its business and the shark goes back to scouring the bottom.

You may have lucked out, time will tell. If the species is either Epalzeorhynchos bicolor or Epalzeorhynchos frenatum, it lives roughly 15 years, and at 6 inches is as large as it will get. The latter species is usually less trouble than the former.

The dominant gourami has just been building a bubble nest around some floating greenery around my filter intake. I'm guessing that confirms male?

The dominant gourami has just been building a bubble nest around some floating greenery around my filter intake. I'm guessing that confirms male?

Yes. I guess for once I had the finage correct, lol.

Thanks for your advice. I appreciate it.

I've moved the aggressor into a tank on his own and put the submissive gourami back in the main tank.

Not sure what to do with the aggressive fish now. He is beautiful to look at, but I hadn't intended on having a 40L jail for 1 bad boy to maintain.

Thanks for your advice. I appreciate it.

I've moved the aggressor into a tank on his own and put the submissive gourami back in the main tank.

Not sure what to do with the aggressive fish now. He is beautiful to look at, but I hadn't intended on having a 40L jail for 1 bad boy to maintain.

As it would seem to be in good condition, health-wise, maybe a local fish store will take it, for trade or just take it? Keep an eye on the other, it could be a male too, and repeat the issue when it recovers and finds it is now "king of the tank," or if a female still no guarantee. But beat up as it is, a store would be unlikely to take it, though you never know.

Most reactions

trending

Back