Fighting Fish

Lawrence

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I have 2 Yoyo Loaches and they are fighting quite a bit recently. One is chasing the other around the tank, and the other loach has a different colour of skin just behind the gills(dont think they have scales). They also seem to be a bit territorial after i introduced a new ornament.

What should I do? Get rid of one? Isn't it better to have two or more fish of the same species?

I think you should add some more Yoyos. Like Tiger Barbs ,adding more of the same species evens out aggression

I think you should add some more Yoyos. Like Tiger Barbs ,adding more of the same species evens out aggression
I have three tiger barbs and theyre not doing anything to each other...and my aquarium is 60 litres. I only got the yoyo loaches as i had a snail problem before.

60 litres?
You should def rehome both of the loaches and get 5 Dwarf Loaches instead.

I've heard that moving the plants and decoration around stops fighting sometimes. It worked when I first got my fish

No problem =). I just hate getting rid of my fish period, so I try to exhaust all solutions before it comes to that

Edit: I did just look up your fish though and you might need to get a bigger tank/ better filtration later on

Thanks, ill try that as i cant rehome my loaches. Some people dont understand tht, unless they want me to ship it to them :/

If you don't have a suitable sized tank then I don't understand why you are surprised their advice is to re-home to a larger tank.

Be it you buying a larger one, or re-homing them to someone else or a fish shop.

You can try the classifieds here, search for fish societies in your area, phone around your local fish shops. Plenty of options.

A responsible fish keeper is never going to say 'Oh yeah your fish will outgrow that tank but nevermind'.
Also just a little note for the future, it's never the best idea to buy fish (or most other livestock) to solve a problem.

Soooo, back to the original question. They should be kept in a group of 4 or more to spread out the agression you're seeing. This is the only way you're likely to get rid of the agression, however I wouldn't recommend it unless you can upgrade your tank.

Also... you say
...Get rid of one?...
If you can rehome one, you can rehome both.

Most young fish are pre programmed to live peacefully for the first few months. However as they mature and get to breeding age this is where the adult behaviours show themselves.

Most young fish are pre programmed to live peacefully for the first few months. However as they mature and get to breeding age this is where the adult behaviours show themselves.
how do i distinuish between female/male yoyo loaches? Is it the same as livebearers?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back