Female Puppy Heat?

when you are older, as you are 15 now, she will not be a fit age to breed. Best off havigng the op done and if you really want to breed, purchase another dog.

Don't breed her for your own personal satisfaction, isn't fair on her as an older dog.

I agree with Beth. If you breed her when she is older then you really risk her health (her hips especially) and the puppies well being also.
Having a quick look up on google has come up with lots of pretty scary risks of breeding dogs:

"You must be willing to be in close contact with your vet from the moment of mating. There is so much that can happen and that you should know. There are nutrition concerns – pregnancy and nursing is taxing on the female body. There are risk factors – some breeds are prone to birth complications and almost always require medical intervention. I remember hearing an English Bulldog breeder state 99.9% of all English Bulldogs litters are born by C-section due to the physiology of the breed. Even in a breed not prone to birth complications, they can arise and be costly! Many breeders will have their vet x-ray (radiograph) a pregnant female to get an idea of how many pups, their placement, etc. A big pup could get stuck in the birth canal. A retained pup (not born for some reason) can die and cause massive infection as it decays. A female may die during delivery. Are you willing to hand rear a litter of pups? This is NOT easy and very tiring. What if your female has poor mothering instincts? Will you take over? Are you willing to accept that you could lose your dog and her puppies? What if one is born deformed or has a problem show up weeks down the road – then what?

I really think you should give this a read- some of it is really horrible, but this is the reality of what can happen if you breed a dog and don't know what you're doing.
What can happen.

BRICKS! ur dog chewed bircks! wowwwww that mustve took him hours and hours omg haha :p..thank u for KINDLY telling me all this..i didnt know there were diseases she cud get from not getting spayed...we will see what we r gonna do cause when we got her we had to sign a contract saying we r not going to breed her but we didnt cause they said we r just not now..idk whats gonna happen and hopefully she stays very healthy and active her bdays in 6 days :)

You've signed a contract saying you wont breed her? You do realise that if you got her from a proper organisation or breeder there is a small chance you could be sued if they found out...

again we r NOT going to breed her until she is around her 3rd or 4th menstrual cycle if we r rdy..if we r not rdy or she gets a diesase or sumthin gthen we r going to spay her..ppl breed dogs what do u think they did before they bred them they researched which is what ive been doing but when the time gets closer ill be doing non stop researching if we dicide to go forward with this.
they thot about all those things including money and such and they r fine with it just like one lady here who bred her german shepards around 3 or 4 years old(im not sure what i saw there but she still breeds em)..yea its different but she maybe went thru the same thing as im going thru now but yea shes an adult but my parents have to decide not me

The thing is, it doesn't take just a few months of intense research. It takes years of research. In my opinion, when breeding ANY animals, from fish to dogs, you should always breed the best animals you can and work on improving that breed. Not only should you know about breeding, but also about breed
starndards, training, genetics, health problems, behavioral problems, and much much more. To breed dogs you should know "everything" there is to know about dogs in general. If this is your first dog, then you aren't ready to breed dogs. Plus, breeding your dog can cost at least $5,000. Now, as a 15 year old I know I don't have that kind of cash laying around

Being 15 is no excuse. I'm 15. I work as a dog groomer/dog trainer and I know quite a few breeders. I have absolutly no desire to breeding now nor in the future. There are so many things you can do with your dog besides breeding. Take her to agility/flyball/Frisbee/dock dogs/obedience classes and meet other dog owners. Spending time with others and their pets will help you in deciding if you want a career with animals. Breeding your dog would most likely steer you away from that option.

Yes, I did breed a dog at 5 years old. BUT, it was not her first litter it was her LAST litter. Her first litter was when she was 2 1/2 years old and after she was titled. The ONLY reason she was bred was because she passed all the breed tests, had hips and elbows certified, and she was an outstanding testament to the breed. Waiting until a dog is that old for their first litter is not good for the dog. The older they get the harder it is for them just like women. She had a total for 3 litters and she is now retired, spayed, and living with my oldest son. Why? Because she earned her retirement.

I on the other hand am not 15. I am 34 years old and I have raised/trained/handled german shepherds for 17 years. I had my first litter a year and a half ago and my second 15 weeks ago. I spent 15 years learning everything I could about the breed, the standards, looking for the right dog. The *****'s first litter was by her previous owner although I did buy a pup from that litter and still own him. It's not something you just jump into. It takes a lot of thought, research (which you are doing somewhat), money, and time.

Hopefully your female will not get what is called Pyometra. This happens when females remain unbred through heat cycles. When the cervix is opened bacteria can get in and causes the uterus to become infected and swell up with puss. This can and will kill a dog. Spaying at this point is NOT optional it is a MUST and costs 3 times as much as it normally would due to the complications that can arise. If puss escapes the uterus during spaying (if the uterus is nicked with the scalpel)the dog will die. If it is not caught in time, the dog will die. I spent over $900.00 having a ***** spayed because of Pyometra instead of the usual $300. Also, if a ***** has a litter of pups it costs more to have her spayed. Alexaveer was $450.00 instead of around $300.00 because she has had pups.

I have friends who have dealt with GSD's for 30 years. Breeding, training police K9's, and also sport dogs. If you want to know what you could be facing when breeding find a breeder that has been breeding for 20+ years. I've heard of bitches eating their pups, having no clue what to do with them, refusing to nurse, dying during or after delivery, or having to have an emergency C-section at the cost of $1500.00+. Waking up every 2 hours and tube feeding newborn pups is a horrible experience.

These are things that really need to be thought about. How much do you know about your chosen breed? Does she represent the standard of the breed? Do you know what genetic diseases she is prone to? Do you plan on being a responsible breeder and having her tested for these?

Many other infections and issues can arise when dogs remain intact and not bred. You've heard the term use it or lose it I'm sure. In a dogs case that can be the absolute truth.

EDIT***
http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/spanishwaterdog.htm
While the SWD seems to be a very healthy breed there are some issues that the SWD have, just like all other breeds. There are cases of Hip Dysplasia in the breed, so choose your breeder carefully. All breeding dogs should have their hips tested, either by OFA or PennHIP. There have been a few cases of PRA reported in Europe so it is advised that all breeders should test their breeding stock for PRA and other such genetic eye diseases with a yearly CERF exam. A responsible breeder will be able to produce the results in writing. Like other Water Dogs and related breeds, they grow hair in their ear canals and can be prone to ear infections. The ears must be kept dry and clean. . Because these dogs are (as a general rule) so active and energetic as puppies, they may seriously injure themselves from too much running and jumping when their skeletal structure is still developing.

You've heard the term use it or lose it I'm sure. In a dogs case that can be the absolute truth.

What we're saying does sound like madness, but until people read into these things they don't realise how often it occurs. I'm not saying alot of the things mentioned are 'likely' (ie. 51% or more), but they're likely enough that I would never just 'risk it' for the sake of it.

I'd only ever breed the dog cause it was a very good example of the breed and fully health checked.

if i ever choose to breed i will have all those questions answered but like i said not rdy now and maybe not planning on breedin gthis one..my moms bf has bred his previous dogs except the most previous shuitzu...$300 for a dog to be spayed!!!!!!!! there r diseases for spaying and not spaying a dog so ppl can just be careful and not let their dogs breed and get their dogs checked up on every once in a while and we have a checkup in a little while not sure when tho and its just a check up..not a checkup to see if she can breed just regular.....her nipples r rlly big and fat for sum reason idk if its because her period cause shes not done yet its only been 2 weeks...she barely even had nippels before this! they r big and alot of them..why is this??

Her nipples should not be swollen. You should have her checked out. You are positive another dog did not get to her?

hi, if another dog didn't get to her she could possibly be having a phantom pregnancy. where she thinks she is pregnant but she isn't. that happened to one of mine once.

well its not like they r swollen and IM postive that another dog didnt get to her..but im at school for 6 hours and my moms bf may know sumthing..she has gained a little weight...im pretty sure she isnt pregnant!!!! oh god i hope not i need to find out..but anyway her nipples were like the size of a guppy when its born :p but in like a ball shape u know..shes still been running around and playing i dont even wanna think about her having babies right now lol....family members came over last night and fell in love with her and thats when my moms bf said we r gonna breed her at around 2-3 years old.. i read about a phantom pregnancy and that may also be the case to..she rlly didnt change her behaviour that much except she wants to keep eating MORE anymore!!! she begs for more but of course we dont give it to her

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back