Video Female Or Male Betta?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

AquaPit

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hi

Take a look at this video of my betta that I bought 1 week ago.

It is a small Betta and was placed in the Female Betta tank at my LFS.

However, I have a strong suspicion it's a Male Betta instead!

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qZ7p4-Jwl7I

I am fairly confident that is indeed a female. Males have very large fins and your's does not. Also you can't see the "beard" when females aren't flaring and if you watch the "beard" completely vanishes when it stops flaring. So I'm sticking with the labeling.  

Aren't the pelvic fins a bit long for a female though?  I thought they were only long on males.

Hmm, that beard extends pretty far under the chin and those ventrals are quite long. I wouldn't doubt if that one is a male. Keep a good eye on that one lol

edited to add: Females can have large fin sizes. It all depends on what they are crossed with, especially when they have halfmoon in the mix. The plakat will shorten some of the finnage, but males and females both can get decent sized finnage. Some of my halfmoon girls have quite long fins.

Gizaroo2 said:
Hmm, that beard extends pretty far under the chin and those ventrals are quite long. I wouldn't doubt if that one is a male. Keep a good eye on that one lol

edited to add: Females can have large fin sizes. It all depends on what they are crossed with, especially when they have halfmoon in the mix. The plakat will shorten some of the finnage, but males and females both can get decent sized finnage. Some of my halfmoon girls have quite long fins.
Just as I suspected! Haha

Yeah that's a male. Hope your pleased. If not theres not much you can do anyway lol.
tongue2.gif

KieranBoyne said:
Yeah that's a male. Hope your pleased. If not theres not much you can do anyway lol.:p
Haha! At least I know it wont be part of a Sorority! It will be a disaster!

Lovely beard on him, definitely a male, although females can have beards, they are usually a lot smaller

LilyRose Tank said:
Lovely beard on him, definitely a male, although females can have beards, they are usually a lot smaller
A male in disguise! :p

Most reactions

Back