Female Guppy With Hump

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

n ot amazing quality but you can see what i mean

Guppywithhump.jpg

I have this female guppy and have noticed it has a lump on its back, it seems to be behaving normally so i think its ok. Is it normal to have a lumpy back.

i have a similar problem with my female guppy - she looks exactly like the pic you posted except she seems to be swimming slightly laboured and at a strange angle. i will be interested to hear what people think is the problem.

sean

in all my years keeping guppies i have never seen this, but maybe one of the other members will be able to help more. both of you good luck with them

could well be, i've had deformaties of a slightly bent tale before but it never effected the life span of the guppy.
could she pregnant? because she looks quite large in that picture

maybe its just her natural shape, some are round some slim, anyway she is a beautiful girl and good luck when she drops :)

n ot amazing quality but you can see what i mean

Guppywithhump.jpg

It looks like her spine is bent/warped- its a common symptom of fish TB, could you get any other pics of her as well as ones from above?
Fish TB is lethal and the bending on the spine will only get worse as the desease progresses and breaks down the muscle tissue, the fish will eventually die. Its an untreatable desease (euthanasia of the fish is the only way to prevent other fish from getting it), so its very important to get more pics to get a clearer pciture of the fishes condition so see wether it is TB or not and if it is, how far its progressed. How long has the guppy been like this?

Yeah it definately looks like TB- you should euthanise the fish as there isn't really any hope for it, its better you put it down now rather than leave it in the tank where it will eventually die and pass on the desease to the other fish.

Temperature shock works very well on guppys- simply get a bowl of water and put it in the freezer until a layer of ice forms across the surface of the water. Take the bowl out and break the ice and then net the guppy out and put her in the freezing water- the temperature shock will kill the guppy in seconds (usually takes about 4-5 seconds for me). Leave the fish in the water though for a minute to rule out any posibility of the fish regaining consciousness (its very rare though for this to happen, but its better to be safe than sorry).
After the deed is done, net the guppy out and wrap it in tissue paper and dispose of it as you wish (bury it, bin it etc- flushing it down the toilet is not advised); remember to wash your hands afterwards, people can get fish TB off fish- its not lethal for us like it is for fish, but will bring out a rash/sores on people and you may need to see a doctor- due to this make sure you don't have any cuts on you as well as you put your hands/arms into the tank.
There are various other humane forms of euthanasia if you prefer something else, you can do a search on the forum as there are many listed. I personally prefer the temperature shock form on small fish like guppys (i would not advise using it on fish 3inches long or larger) as it is very effective and quick on them and is not a gory or bloody form of euthasia.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back