Female Guppy - Pregnant?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

HawkinsFamily

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Purchased this female guppy about 2 weeks ago from LFS.  It has a black gravid spot - (I think).

Could anyone confirm if the fish is pregnant or not?

Currently feed on a mixture of Frozen Daphne, veg & flake food.  Is there anything else I should be adding to the diet if the fish is confirmed as pregnant?

[sharedmedia=core:attachments:79177]

Thanks for stopping by and reading my post.

The HawkinsFamily

This fish is 100% pregnant. That can be said about almost all female guppies due to the fact that they are housed with males and probably will have mated and can have babies up to four months after mating with a male. Also she will have babies every 28-30 days that is if she doesn't die while giving birth, that can happen to guppies the first time they give birth. the diet seems fine. what size tank do you have? is it cycled? do you have a plan for the babies? do you have a seperate tank for the babies or are you going to make them play the game of survival? and one last question is this your first time having  fry?

Also could you post a better pic so someone besides me could tell you when she is due. (I'm not good at telling when the fish is squared off)

Hi Snork6,

Thanks for your response.

I've got a 70 litre tank, which has been through a fishless tank cycle - thanks to all the information on the forum.

As for the babies, this will be my first time having fry.  I'm in the process of setting up another tank for my other daughter, so the plan will be to go through the experience of raising some young guppies but long term, I will separate out the males and females.  No doubt there will be some casualties if we're not around when the guppy gives birth to her live young but I'm ok with that as that's reflects what happens in nature.

I'll try and capture a better picture but it's actually quite difficult to capture a picture as whenever I go near the tank with a camera, the fish either go camera shy or dart around
wink.png

Ok that sounds like a good plan
yes.gif
 The babies you will not be able to separate the gender until 3 or 6 months due to the fact that they all look female when they are born. Do your tank have live plants?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back