Female danio glowlight - aggressive?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

JCW_1

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Does anyone keep danio glowlight with guppy fish?

Are female danio glowlight known to nip at fins and tails, particularly guppy?

I have been asked to house two but not sure if they will bother my guppy.

Do you mean glowlight danio, Celestichthys choprae? They are not known for nippiness, however they need to be in a group of at least 8 and fish kept in insufficient numbers can become aggressive. Two might be a problem, especially if they've always been kept as just the two and any aggressive tendency has already developed.

Yes - Celestichthys choprae is exactly same image. My tank will only squeeze two - any more would overcrowd tank. Someone had 6 but 4 were killed by other species and the shop won't take them back, which is why they asked me to take them. If they are not aggressive are they likely to turn in a friendly tank of guppy + neon/purple tetra? If i don't take them there is no alternatives.

Yes - Celestichthys choprae is exactly same image. My tank will only squeeze two - any more would overcrowd tank. Someone had 6 but 4 were killed by other species and the shop won't take them back, which is why they asked me to take them. If they are not aggressive are they likely to turn in a friendly tank of guppy + neon/purple tetra? If i don't take them there is no alternatives.

There is scientific evidence that a shoaling fish like all danios must have a group of 10 or more. Eight or nine would not likely be problematic, but two most assuredly will. Fish like this become aggressive. Species naturally aggressive become much more so, and peace normally peaceful become aggressive. There are other reactions too, but you are concerned more here with aggression. I would not house two, unless in their own tank where they might well turn on each other. That's life, the fish behave and react according to their genetic makeup, not our wants.

I won't take them as i've got a happy tank. It's a shame they have nowhere to go, but i have to protect my fish.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back