Female Bettas In Community?

Kelsyann

Fish Fanatic
Joined
Apr 6, 2009
Messages
128
Reaction score
0
Points
16
Posted this in 'Bettas' but wanted to see if I got more answers here.

Right the females are each in about 1.5 gallon bowls. I do 20% water changes every other day to keep the ammonia levels down. In the future, as in Sunday, I'm getting a 30 gallon aquarium. I know I need to cycle it so it'll be awhile before ANY fish go in there. I'm planning on adding lots of hidey holes and plants. This is the possible stocking I had in mind:

2 Honey Gourami
12-14 Neon Tetra
7 Five banded Barbs (A more peaceful version of Tiger Barbs)
6 Cory cats

Can the female Bettas be moved into this tank? And I realize that I'd probably need to add at least 2 more female Bettas to reduce aggression. I am aware that Bettas and Gouramis should not be mixed, but I was planning on getting female Gouramis, would they be less aggressive? If this setup will not work, I'll just have to figure out another alternative.
Thanks everyone!
 
I would have to say that the stock your looking at wont work. The barbs are aggressive (even if there more peaceful) and fin nippers thus they would tear your bettas fins to shreds. I also would not suggest adding neons untill the tank has be cycled for a few months since they are very very sensitive fish. I suggest you dont mix the gourami and betta as well. There is always the chance it might work but be prepared if it doesnt. If the bettas to not work you are going to want an extra tank to house them. I know you have kept them in 1.5 gal bowl but if reality that is still very small. I would recommended a 5-10 gallon back up tank for either the gourami or betta. Even if you dont use the 10 gallon at first it makes a good quarantine tank in case problems arise in the future. Cost only 20 bucks fir the tank, 10 bucks for heater and maybe 20-30 for a filter. Just a suggestion.
 
Thanks guys, I'm actually looking at a 10 gallon tank tomorrow to house my bettas if things don't work out. I know they should not be kept in bowls, but I bought them before I realized this, so now I'm doing the best I can.
So do you think I should try the setup and if there is too much aggression remove the bettas? Or should I just not try at all and put the females in their own tank?
 
buy the 10gal, set it up, cycle it then put your 2 females init and add another 3 then maybe can get 4 pygmy cories for the tank. well planted with lots of caves and you should ahve a nice little tank.
 
Yeah thats what I'm thinking of doing. Right now I have a 10 gallon with a male betta and 4 (soon to be 6) peppered cories, so I think I might do the same type of setup for the girls. I just don;t want to risk anyone getting hurt in the 30 gallon
 
i wouldnt risk it. you could also add some shrimp to the tank aswell maybe 4 cherry shrimp. they will probily breed but the babies will probily get eaten.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top