Female Bettas In A 5 Gallon?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Dwu280

Reaction score
I am wondering, how many female bettas could I put in a 5 gallon? I've been thinking of putting 3 female bettas in there, possibly a ghost shrimp, not sure about that though. Anyways, please offer your advice and input.

with female batta more is better, even the girls can be aggressive, with a filtered cycled tank u can do one fish per gallon, so 5 at most, i prefer a ten gallon with 7 to 8 but u could try 4 at first,, get lots of live or silk plants though so sombody can hid if she wants to. live plants eat up bad nitrated so they are good,, try getting some young quality female from a breeder,, ladies the same age out of the same fry usually get along better

Umm..I could be wrong but I thought it was 1 inch of fish per gallon and not 1 fish per gallon?? I have a 5 gallon tank with 3 female bettas in it. The largest girl is almost 2 inches so if I were to assume the two younger females grow to 2 inches each that would actually be 6" of fish for the 5 gallon tank. But I do frequent water checks and changes to make sure everything is A-ok. :good:

I am thinking about a 5.5 gallon well planted tank with 3 female Betta's after cycling, will this work?

Don't do it. I tried to tell another person on a different fourm that sorority tanks are not good. She did not listen and learned the hard way. Now she has all these females and has to separate them.

Female fish are still betta fish. These are not social fish. Some
Females are just as nasty as males. The only way to keep many Bettas is to divide the tank or have many tanks for each fish.

I had a sorority tank for a 1 year so I know from experience that its not a good idea I had my 8 girls in a 36gal tank and still had problems. You want to try in a 5gal . That's crazy.

GrandmaBetta said:
I am thinking about a 5.5 gallon well planted tank with 3 female Betta's after cycling, will this work?
No it will not. The females will almost surely kill each other :(

Female bettas should not be kept together in any tank less than 10 gallons.  I would also not keep any less than 6 females together to increase the chance of the sorority working out long term which is always iffy at best.  A 5 gallon is way too small to keep anything more than one betta in no matter how "clean" you keep it.  I have kept several sororities in the past but you have to do them right or it will end up badly in the end although it may take a while to get to that point.

I am wondering, how many female bettas could I put in a 5 gallon? I've been thinking of putting 3 female bettas in there, possibly a ghost shrimp, not sure about that though. Anyways, please offer your advice and input.
I would say you could host about 3 females betta fish in one 5 gallon, because I know someone who has been doing that for over a year and a half, and all the fish are healthy and happy. However, I would recommend a good back up plan, like having 2 extra tanks on hand, just incase the bettas end up fighting really badly. I would also suggest placing the bettas in separate tanks near each other, that way they can get used to seeing other betta fish.

Don’t Do it!!! I had 11 in a 20 gallon long and still too small. Several died due to stress. You can put 1 in there.

With sorority tanks, is there a way to tell which betas will be a better match for eachother? Do you want all plain ones, or all coloured or is it completely trial and error. Also, why does keeping 6 in a large tank more likely to be successful than keeping two in a smaller tank?

6 in a large tank means there are more places to hide and get out of the way plus aggression is more likely to be spread amongst the fish rather than being targeted at one fish. If you have 2 in a small space then the more aggressive female will bully the other potentially to death.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back